Goodwood Revival

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:17 pm

The Fordwater Trophy race at the Goodwood revival is for sportscars from 1960 to 1966

Not a single Elan in the field?.

Times in the 1min 33's

A few years back Martin Stretton was doing 1 min 28's in the IWR 26R.

But you have to have an invite!!!!!!
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Good to see the Chinook ( pronounced shinook). Built by the Feijer brothers (pronounced Fazer) in Toronto .do well ...they also built f fords and f. Vees.....also the Lanks . :D .Ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:18 pm

Went to the festival on saturday. Quite a few Elans to view in the classic car car park. There was a parade lap of all the cars that Jackie Stewart had driven throughout his career including a couple of Elans and it was great to see the F1 Matras and Tyrells out on the track.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:31 pm

Been over a decade since I left the UK and have not visited the festival or revival since.

My memory of it was that year on year it got more and more expensive but also better and better, when my pockets were deep enough it was great value, when i hot hard times I was shocked the last year that I went and almost turned away at tne gate, only pride and not wanting to lose face in front of friends prevented me from doing so, I'm glad I did pay as it was a stonking meeting for what may have been my last ever visit.

Each year I think of returning and bringing a couple of French friends with me, same thing happens each year, I think about it and then read that the event has passed.

So can anyone give me an idea of how much it costs for each event, is it still cheaper and more relaxed on a Friday? A difficult one to answer for those who go regularly but how has it changed in a decade, (might even be 12 years) what is better and what do you miss of the old days?

Many thanks.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:06 pm

Chancer wrote:Each year I think of returning and bringing a couple of French friends with me, same thing happens each year, I think about it and then read that the event has passed.

So can anyone give me an idea of how much it costs for each event, is it still cheaper and more relaxed on a Friday? A difficult one to answer for those who go regularly but how has it changed in a decade, (might even be 12 years) what is better and what do you miss of the old days?

Many thanks.

Saturday and Sunday were ?60 and the more relaxed Friday about ?45. Beer was ?4.60 and tea ?2. I met Paddy and Nebogipfel there but haven't yet counted all the Elans from my photographs.

The racing is just as hooligan as it ever was but some of the simplicity has gone and more sophisticated exhibits abound. Friday is the only practice day and even that included a race this year. It is much more crowded and is worse every year. BTW you have to buy tickets in advance but parking is free which means you can park and look at the now extensive Classic Car Park and most of the many trade stands and the fairground without paying. I usually buy a Friday and a Sunday ticket and on the Saturday browse the Classics. Although the main paddock is restricted to GRRC members there are good views from outside it and the lesser car paddocks are free access as is the static aircraft display. No B17 Flying Fortress this year!

My biggest criticism is the continual mawkish references to the RAF activities and "our brave boys" which I find embarrassing at an international event. We may have lost 53,000 Lancaster crew members but how many innocent civilians did they kill. One year they even "shot down" an Me109 in a dog-fight!
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:47 pm

Think of what would have happened if they had won .....a spit would have been shot down And the bliz would be a good thing ......the victors write history .....ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:02 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:
My biggest criticism is the continual mawkish references to the RAF activities and "our brave boys" which I find embarrassing at an international event. We may have lost 53,000 Lancaster crew members but how many innocent civilians did they kill. One year they even "shot down" an Me109 in a dog-fight!

This is not meant to be a criticism or provocation to your comment above
You need to remember the context of the event and the period that they are trying to recreate, you will see lots of airforce, army and navy uniforms being worn, many of them dating from WW2. In 1948 when the first meeting was held it must have been pretty obvious that the circuit derived from RAF Westhampnett which was built on land donated by the March family to assist the war effort. So soon after the war and way into the 1960's this would not have been an international event and the mostly local crowd would have been quite partisan with concern to the British and Allied forces.

There is a recently placed Bomber Command memorial at Beachy Head that has an inscription that on first glance is not too conciliatory, but once again you have to place it in context with other forces memorials that were commissioned not long after the war instead of 65+ years too late.

RAF Westhampnett

The origins of the Goodwood track derive from an ex-military airfield. RAF Westhampnett, named after the village bordering Goodwood, served as a Battle of Britain base during the War and was the station from which RAF legend Sir Douglas Bader flew his last sortie.

The Airfield was created on land that formed part of the Goodwood Estate - home to the Dukes of Richmond for over 300 years - and was donated by the 9th Duke to assist the War effort.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:10 pm

Just to digress, I was at Brands Hatch for the 1982 British GP. This was in the days when john Webb used to fill the program with everything - decent support races, fly pasts etc. but I did cringe when between races they had a "mock" WW2 battle at Clearways. Never found out what BMW (with Brabham) made of it all......
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:46 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:My biggest criticism is the continual mawkish references to the RAF activities and "our brave boys" which I find embarrassing at an international event.

It would appear that that you are mixing-up the entertainment spectacle with the respectful recognition of more serious events.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 pm

I spent Saturday afternoon in the Historic car park and noted:

24 Elans including 17 previously unknown;
7 Elan +2s including 4 previously unknown;
7 other Loti including 4 previously unknown.

Jensens abounded, Turtles were almost extinct but a Turner, Gilbern, Sabre 6 and early Scimitar were of interest among the non-metallics, plus a couple of TVRs. Someone had dropped a Ford V6 into a Spitfire 3 very neatly!
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:52 am

bigvalvehead wrote:The Fordwater Trophy race at the Goodwood revival is for sportscars from 1960 to 1966

Not a single Elan in the field?.

http://grrc.goodwood.com/goodwood-reviv ... ter-trophy

I think there's an elan towards the rear, also one is mentioned in the commentary..........

my other affiliation, ginetta, did quite well but presumably would have been eclipsed by 26r's...... :cry:

:D fred :D
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: AlfaLofa » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Being 550 miles away I watched the whole race on Eurosport.

The commentators never said why the S2 started in the back row.

:D But it did gain 22 places :D
Steve
'64 S1 Elan (Owned since '73)
'69 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce (Owned since '77)
'70 Morris Minor 1000 (Owned since '85)
AlfaLofa
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Agree with Chancer about the costs. Its been a few years since I went, and the weekend cost over ?200 with all the trimmings.. Started going to events abroad, including the first Le Mans classic (preferred the date of the first one..), Angouleme, Dijon, Spa and found the costs were about the same or even cheaper. Certainly better food

A little story about one visit to the Revival. A close relative goes every year, and loves it. This particular year, we went with wives and kids and had a great time. The previous comments about the wartime period was true then as now. My relative was very proud of a long black leather coat and stylish black hat he would often wear, including to this revival. He also wears steel rimmed glasses.....

When we met up in the paddock I said 'Good to see you are in character this year'. He was perplexed, until I pointed out that he was a very good approximation of Herr Flick (non Brits may need to google this).. He took it in good part and feigned a limp but I have never seen him wear the coat and hat since.

However, maybe its time to go again - better start saving for next year.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:39 am

For those who couldn't get there don't forget that the entire weekend is up on Youtube.
Hours and hours of the professional broadcast done at the time, ( not some old codger with a camcorder...).
All the hill climb is there also.

I downloaded the lot and sit down each breakfast for half an hour at a time of GT40s, D types etc.
Not the same as being there I know but I'm 12,000 miles away......

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: