Spyder Chassis - Sprint/Hillclimb

PostPost by: Midlife » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:30 pm

I have an Elan +2 with a Spyder chassis. I have checked the blue book 12.3.1 modified production, I keep reading it (over and over) and I cant see any reason why I cant enter in this class...? I have had some mixed info on the web. The most posative was this thread, which tells me I am ok.

http://www.paulmattysportscars.co.uk/co ... sp?d_id=61

Can someone confirm if this is ok, or will it be excluded.

Cheers

Doug
Midlife
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: MintSprint » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:26 am

I've seen plenty of Spyder chassis'd cars competing in Sprint and Hillclimb production classes; so long as you are running the normal Elan suspension (ie. strut rear instead of Spyder double wishbones), I think most scrutineers accept that any performance difference (increased stiffness vs. slightly increased weight) is pretty marginal.

Your best bet would be to have a word with Paul Matty at Paul Matty Sportscars, though - he sponsors the Paul Matty Hillclimb championship for Lotus Cars, so he'll be familiar with both the letter and the spirit of the regulations as applied to these cars.
MintSprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:30 am

Last time I checked the Paul Matty Hillclimb series was pretty free with mods. They run a handicap system; the more modified your car the bigger the handicap your are given. Thus it is possible to win the championship with a totally standard car 8)

Other hillclimb series may not be so lax but from my experience a spyder chasis (sub frame) should be OK in a standard class. It may also depend on which spyder sub frame you have; the spaceframe tubular one or the Lotus clone folded sheet one.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: