rocker switch for headlights

PostPost by: umbyfer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:46 pm

A question to all the owner of a Lotus Elan Sprint:

is the rocker headlight switch with two position or one only? how many pins it has on the back? looking the book of Gordon Lund i found a scheme wher it is with 4 pins...

In my Elan sprint Federal (1971), fail safe system, it is with one position only; i don't know if it is the original one or it has been changed in the past....
Someone else sold me a used rocker switch with two position and 4 pins as the headlight switch.....

Thank you for any help!!

Umberto
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:20 pm

The two position one is to allow for parking lights plus side lights position, which was a requirement in the UK for a long time. So the federal one may not have had that option fitted.
Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: ppnelan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:50 pm

My ex-Federal 1971 Elan S4 has a rocker switch that just operates the side (parking) lights - I would call it 2-position since it is either 'off' or 'on'.
I think you are asking if it should be a 3-position switch i.e. seperate positions for 'off', side lights, & headlights ?
The headlights (failsafe) operate with the vacuum switch - there's an electrical switch 'tacked-on' (it looks like a bodge but it must be original!) to the back of the vacuum switch.

Hope this helps.
:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: umbyfer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:38 pm

actually the rocker switch is one position only: on or off, like panel or cortesy light.

I found a switch that is with two position (not 3) ("2 click")

I have two microswitches fixed to the knob valve for the headlamp; i replaced by new (easy to find).

Thanks for more info....
Umberto
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: umbyfer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:40 pm

oh yes, the one i found is with 3 position: off, first position, second position...

Umberto
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:24 pm

umbyfer wrote:oh yes, the one i found is with 3 position: off, first position, second position...

Umberto

umberto,
My 72 Sprint is as you describe, Off, parking/side lights, head lights.

Cheers,
Pete.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: umbyfer » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:28 pm

ok thank you to everybodY; now the question is: if the car is UK standard may have a 3 position switch; if it is Federal with the microswitches on the valve may have a two position switch. Correct?

Any advise just to solve: "to be or not to be"?

Thank you,
Umberto
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: smokey73 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:45 am

I have a 1970 Elan +2S that I am parting out and I just took the switches out of the dash and carefully identified each one in a small plastic bag. This is a Federal Failsafe system. I thought I'd give you some pictures and maybe that would help but I could not get them to upload for some reason. If I can figure out what is wrong I'll post the pictures later)

Of course yours may not be the same but a picture is worth a thousand words. There is a combination vacuum switch/electrical Headlight switch and a separate "rocker" switch marked "Park" on the panel. This rocker switch is a "return to center" type switch. I took the car apart 27 years ago so I can't remember what the different positions of up and down do but I know it spring returns to the middle position.
smokey73
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: smokey73 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:01 am

Lets try the pictures again. And I looked at the dash and the up positon on the parking light is "off" and the down position is "on" It spring returns to the middle positon.

There is a completely different switch for the panel lights.

STILL WON'T LET ME UPLOAD A FILE - SAYS TRIED TO UPLOAD AND EMPTLY FILE?

Send me a private email with your email address and I'll send you the pictures. Dan
smokey73
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: smokey73 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:56 am

Finally figured out the picture problem. I had 7M high resolution pictures and they were too big. I have taken some low resolution pictures and they are below. Hope this helps.

Dan
Attachments
DSC00498.JPG and
Back of Rocker Switch. Spring return to middle position. Up is off and down is on.
DSC00496.JPG and
Other side of Headlight pull
DSC00495.JPG and
Headlight Pull vacuum/elec switch and Park Rocker switch
smokey73
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: umbyfer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:48 am

are you able to take a pictur of the knob switch in order to see how the small lever of the knob going out from the valve works to the electric switches..

when you pull/pusch the knob a small piece going out from the valve pushes the switches....

thank you

umberto
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: smokey73 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:45 pm

umberto

I took apart the switch so you could get a good look.

The way it works - When the knob is in (lights off) the small white wedge pushes in on the two little red tabs and opens the circuit so the lights are off. When the knob is pulled out (lights on) the small white wedge is pulled up and the two little red tabs move out of the switchs and the curcuit is completed and the lights are on. Pictures show with the plate off so you can see the switches (two) and with the plate on.

Is this what you were looking for? Hope this helps.

Dan
Attachments
DSC00507.JPG and
Lights on - wedge removed letting the red tabs out
DSC00506.JPG and
Lights off - wedge inserted pushing red tabs into the switch
DSC00504.JPG and
Plate that holds the switches in place
DSC00503.JPG and
Lights off - wedge in and red tabs in opening the cirucit
DSC00499.JPG and
Lights on - wedge out and red tabs out closing the circuit
smokey73
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: umbyfer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:36 pm

Great!! very helpful job. in my car the small triangol parts is missing...I supposed somthing like that. Now i know to repruduce by resin.
Are you able to find in UK some nuts as the 2 fixing the switch to the matal support. I need only one. Its is missing and substitute by a bigger one end not nice....
Thank you for everything, very kind.
Umberto
umbyfer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: smokey73 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:12 pm

Umberto,

I am glad to help. I have no idea where to get misc parts like that. I am in the US and parting out my +2S and just happened to have the light switch and rocker taken out last week.

Dan
smokey73
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:04 pm

If your original rocker switch isn't working then they are easy to take apart and clean then reassemble.

Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: