do window frames move

PostPost by: street » Mon May 22, 2023 9:57 am

Continuing my door alignment woes it seems I cannot get enough adjustment to get things just so, the bottom rear needs to come up, however the top of window frame fouls body.

on close inspection if you look closely at photos the water line (how else do you describe it) on glass and chrome looks to have move a couple of mm where the rubber seal sits against glass (quarter light picture), doors have been lifted off floor by frame so it could be possible?

the only other thought I have is new bronze hinge bushes, on the upper hinge the top hat sits on top of hinge is very snug to top of door pin, if the top hat is fixed below the hinge, the relative hinge position goes up, lowering the door. Is it that simple or have I got it all about face.
Attachments
IMG_1383.jpg and
IMG_1386.jpg and
IMG_1384.jpg and
IMG_1385.jpg and
street
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon May 22, 2023 10:53 am

Is it possible you have the hinge castings upside down on the pins?

There is a machined face one one side of the hinge casting 'eye' that the top hat flange needs to ground on - it should be on the top face of the upper hinge and the bottom face of the lower hinge.

Having the upper casting upside down would push the door assembly upwards....just a thought

(the lower hinge in the image is the correct orientation)
Attachments
IMG_3464 (1) (Copy).jpg and
Last edited by jono on Mon May 22, 2023 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: street » Mon May 22, 2023 11:00 am

Interesting, I thought the hinges were symmetrical, why do you think that, old post, technical? Good to get anymore opinions
street
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon May 22, 2023 11:01 am

...by looking at the hinges I have just installed, with bronze bushes.

...note cut out at top where bush sits
Attachments
P1210445 (Copy).jpg and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: street » Mon May 22, 2023 11:04 am

Nothing like real situation!

Are they in door? If not could you load a photo?

I will take mine back out tomorrow and check, thanks
street
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon May 22, 2023 11:20 am

..that's as fitted and painted - you should be able to check by just looking into the door aperture.

Also worth noting that you tighten the big countersunk screw at the bottom first to pull the hinge assembly onto the thick spacer, and then you tighten the hinge pin assembly to the door shell
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: street » Mon May 22, 2023 7:58 pm

good pictures and advice, I have added top and bottom of drivers door, it would appear I have them the right way up, however the machined surface does not look as deep as yours.

my top hat definitely looks thicker, the nylon bushes measure 2.93mm, my bronze are close to 3.4mm, would.05mm make that much difference at top egde of window frame to door.

pictures below
Attachments
IMG_1391.jpg and
IMG_1389.jpg and
street
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue May 23, 2023 7:12 am

I'm struggling for suggestions now but since I understand everything was fine prior to fitting the bushes(?) that's where I would be looking.

It's an obvious one but presumably you have already tried to adjust by moving the hinges inside the car?

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: street » Tue May 23, 2023 8:55 am

I have not tried to move hinges as the top one is at highest point, so I cannot move of up to drop door height. I can try and lower the bottom and see what happens.
street
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: