New Wiring Harness LHD

PostPost by: hastu » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:56 am

i know, LHD is not very Common in UK :) , but:

I bougth a new Wiring Harness for my +2 S130 LHD.
Autosparks and SJ Sportscars tells me that they sell only one Version for LHD and RHD.
Does a "Lotus Elan + 2 Main Wiring Harness" really fits LHD and RHD?
In my LHD Car the Wiper Motor is placed on the right side, in a RHD the Wiper Motor is placed on te left side.
And for sure there are other connectors placed on a different side.
Does anybody hav any experiance with this situation?
Do i have to manually adapt the new Harness to fit my car?
regards
Hanspeter
Elan +2 S130 1971 Pistachio Lime Green
hastu
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:38 am

You are right, lhd wiring looms seem not to be made although not dure if anyone in the US makes one.

Basic answer is, for aftermarket looms, yes, you need to extend the wires for wiper, brake cylinder, indicators, headlamp flashers, ignition switch and solenoid and the various warning lights - ign, indicators, hi beam.

How competent are you with electrics? If you want to be really neat and professional, identify the wires thst need extending and buy a couple of meters of equivalent wire with same colour code, cut the existing terminals and with some heatshrink, solder the wires together…
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:03 pm

My Plus 2 is LHD. The generic main harness I received from Kelvedon seems to have an extended wiper sub harness which would accomodate both LHD and RHD versions. :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:56 am

Sorting some photos last night, I must correct myself - the dashboard harness is long enough to fit RH and LHD - assuming that no one has cut the wires from your indicator switch. So, I think the only necessary extension is wiper and brake cylinder...
Apologies.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: