Thinking of Returning to +2 Ownership

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:26 pm

shynsy wrote:
alan.barker wrote:Tim,
Before you buy a +2 have a drive of an Elan. A big difference between the two models.
Alan

Will do if I can find someone willing to let me.

Easy someone who wants to sell their Elan.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: shynsy » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:33 am

Good point.
shynsy
New-tral

PostPost by: shynsy » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:38 am

Out of interest.. what are people paying for twincam rebuilds. I know this can be a "how long is a piece if string" question, but what about a bog standard engine.
When I had my elan I rebuilt it myself using a 711m block (I kept the L block).. is this now frowned upon? I know in some of my other car forums for other models non-standard is now really frowned upon..
Is this so in the +2 fraternity?
Tim
shynsy
New-tral

PostPost by: jono » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:45 am

I recently rebuilt my TC for around £1,500.

I was lucky in that the bores and crank were perfectly in spec so a light hone 6 thou reface, polish and new bearings, gaskets etc was all that was needed.

The head is where the money went - guides, valves, seats and cam bearings were about £600 to - purchase and I found (or rather Mike D kindly introduced me to) a brilliant old school machinist with considerable TC experience to do the head work for not a lot of money.

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:46 pm

Hi Tim. I have a 711M block in my elan. The only reason I might prefer to move to the 701 is to make it standard for the carbs. I have a letter that appears to suggest lotus may have been supplying the 711M as a replacement block. I've not seen or heard confirmation of that though.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: