Lotus Elan Plus 2 Value Trends

PostPost by: AlistairF » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:28 pm

When 90% of fuel stations are closed I expect my fuel to be delivered in an Amazon EV, or by heavy lifting drone!
AlistairF
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:32 pm

Trying to predict the future is like trying to predict Elan +2 prices, nobody knows. If you want one buy it because it’s a great car but not a great investment.

As to the future ICE’s are being sold in the UK till 2030, so fuel will be around till maybe 2050, it may be more expensive (a bit like the leaded fuel scenario) but synthetic fuel may be the answer for classics. It’s being produced now for aircraft and will for the foreseeable future, as there is no alternative, so it will probably be an expensive hobby but that’s sometime in the future.

So……buy one now while you can enjoy it.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:17 pm

Yes, in theory, synthetic fuel in the form of bio-ethanol will continue well past 2050, assuming that the ethics of fuel instead of food is not overturned.

However, if bio-ethanol is the only synthetic fuel to replace petrol, then the issue of its combustion requiremts must be addressed: it needs to have a metered spark. This can only be achieved through electronic distributerless ignition.

Maybe be prepared in part for this by ensuring that all rubber parts involved in delivery of fuel are changed to ethanol friendly compounds…
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:54 pm

So in my opinion easy access and price might for petrol may become a lot worse. I am not sure it will be produced at some volume for a good long time.

The world uses crude oil for a lot more than vehicle fuel, everything from plastics to lubricants for machinery. We likely to need to continue extracting crude oil at a significant rate to support those uses. A lot of these uses currently are by product off fuel production but they'll probably become primary products and the fuel will become a secondary. So there likely petrol produced for long long time. The availability, cost and legal situation for it is more of a open question.

There probably be a push to alternatives that use crude for product that use, for example plant based plastics, but that will take a long time to occur and hit the scale needed.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:47 am

We will just all have to live near race tracks. I love going to a race track here in the Dallas area and you can still get like 95 octane and leaded gas so maybe it’ll always be somewhere, we just have to adjust to where we live, true hobby devotion but heck, sailors, live by water, Gordon
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:17 am

I know many in Europe have been making fuel from agricultural and forestry waste. Even the USA seems to have some of these interesting machines.
Once the catalyst is added, it doesnt need to be added unless run dry. The wood/agricultural waste is fed into a pulverizer, and a press squeezes out the goodness/fuel.
It’s been a few years since I studied this.

The newer Porsche fuel from Argentina takes more energy to produce than conventional fuel. But what comes out the arse end is water (h2o). Whereas bio fuel is about the same Co.

I also, before storing internal combustion things. As most/all fuel around here (200 km away I can get 92 which is supposedly Ethanol free) By adding water to your jerrycan, water attracts the ethanol. Siphon off the water/ethanol mix, and you have water injection for your high hp turbo car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCG7mIprfE

Add octane
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:29 pm

Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: