Fitting bumpers

PostPost by: jono » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:34 pm

Last time I simply bolted them on and used a rubber penny washer between the bumper and the body and a stainless penny washer on the back side

But SJ Sportscars show a thick rubber buffer for bumper mounting - is this necessary and where does it go?

Any other tips - was thinking of put a self adhesive foam strip between the bumper and body just to isolate it.
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve Brooks » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:31 am

Hello jono, just refitted the front bumper on my +2 and put the rubber back from whence it came from.it sits sandwiched between the body and the underneath of the bumper so there is a gap all around.I used stainless penny washers under the nut to spread the load.The rubbers I removed we’re still good after 50 years not sure foam will stay the course.
72 Elan +2S 130/5
Put in the garage after a mot pass in 2012,trying to make it back out.(Almost there)
Steve Brooks
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:29 am

hi Jono,
could you tell us the part number of the rubber buffer please. I don't suppose you've mistaken them for the rubber buffer for Headlamp Stops or For the rear of the Boot Lid.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:18 am

Hi Alan,

Its A050B1940Z, definately a rubber 'block' to isolate the bumper from the body. I have some thick rubber sheet and can make some myself
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:19 am

Steve Brooks wrote:Hello jono, just refitted the front bumper on my +2 and put the rubber back from whence it came from.it sits sandwiched between the body and the underneath of the bumper so there is a gap all around.I used stainless penny washers under the nut to spread the load.The rubbers I removed we’re still good after 50 years not sure foam will stay the course.

Thanks Steve, good to know - I never even knew these existed!
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:46 pm

Hi Jono,
Just fit rubber washers. I've used rubber Tap Washers and just made the hole a bit bigger in the past. You need to put sealant around to number plate lights wires to stop flooding in the Boot.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:11 pm

Tap washers - great suggestion, cheap as chips from Wilkos!

Last time a put a foam strip around the indent in the body below the numberplate lamps to seal it from ingress
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:19 pm

How thick are the rubber washers? Mine never had any so need to get some tap washers to fit the bumpers after a respray.

Dave
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:21 am

The washers on mine when removed were about 3mm (1/8”) but they’d been squashed in there for many years so might have been a bit thicker when new, but not much as they are quite hard. Mine were actually square so not sure if they were original.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:41 pm

I used short lengths of heater or fuel hose to mount the rear bumper on my +2. You can easily cut a thicker or thinner piece if you get the clearance wrong at first.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: