Woops I did it again. Bought a wreck. Value?

PostPost by: berni29 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:03 pm

Hi Guys

I am in the middle of putting my plus 2 together when I saw a "complete" plus 2s for sale (minus engine and gearbox) on facebook marketplace. It was a typical in total need of restoration example. And obviously not quite complete, but mostly there.

Anyways I agreed to buy it sight unseen because I thought with a galvanised chassis and side members, how could I go far wrong. The seats looked pretty good also. Well, it turns out that the chassis although changed a long time ago is a steel item and most of the components are pretty rusty. The chassis may be serviceable though. I have not lifted the body off yet or had much of chance to have a proper inspection actually.

The body seems straight and it has it's V5

What do we think is the right price for such a thing in the UK?

It's sitting outside my house now. I paid £2750 plus £300 to get it transported.

Whats done is done, so I will restore it. I will put the engine and gearbox from my other car in it, and put a Zetec in the car I was in the middle of rebuilding. Thats what I fancied doing and why this car appeared like an attractive prospect.

I will post on my experiences with the car. I have already made some posts on the other one.

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:46 pm

Value to you or someone else, and if someone else, who?

To you it is good value for all the reasons you give - as you say, it was an attractive prospect.

To some people you will have paid too much.

Others with a more objective take on things will say you vannot buy much these days for £3000, so not bad value!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:51 pm

You have done very well and I admire your bravery! D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:23 pm

I also, sight unseen collected a project of about the same nature for my Brother about a year ago. Though the chassis could be mended (some rust) looks like balls to the wall, hoping a Spyder turns up soon.

I am sure, there are few cars worth saving. Though that list increases as time goes on eh!
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve Brooks » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:21 am

Well done Berni, good luck with both builds.Steve
72 Elan +2S 130/5
Put in the garage after a mot pass in 2012,trying to make it back out.(Almost there)
Steve Brooks
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:20 am

Well done Berni.
There's an unrestored Sprint that's not turned a wheel in 40 years in Bromley, just up the road from you.
I've been trying to buy it man and boy
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:19 pm

661 wrote:Well done Berni.
There's an unrestored Sprint that's not turned a wheel in 40 years in Bromley, just up the road from you.
I've been trying to buy it man and boy

Don't give up!
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:22 pm

Hi Guys

Thank you, I'm going to need a lot of luck with this one.

I have been sorting through the bits today, its fairly complete but a bit of a mixed bag.

Still haven't had a proper look underneath.

Thank again

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: