Elan plus 2 fuel sender unit removal and replacement

PostPost by: TonyA » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:46 pm

The fuel sender unit of the plus 2 is fixed in the tank by a locking ring. This is basically the same as MGBs and similar, but is different from the 'baby' Elans.

There is lots of discussion in the archive about the baby Elan, fuel sender fixing, including much agonising about how to make the screws petrol leak proof, but I found nothing on the plus 2. In the end I found what I needed from MGB sources. The attachment explains clearly how the ring locks and unlocks.

I made a tool for engaging the 3 tabs on the locking ring to unscrew (anti-clockwise) to remove, and then reverse to replace. Basically, a 55mm nominal hole saw of the kind used to make holes in plasterboard and timber. Teeth ground off and 3 cut outs made on the edge at 129 degrees, 5mm wide, 5mm deep to engage the tabs of the lock ring. Much better than using a screwdriver/ chisel etc with hammer to turn one of the tabs.

TonyA
Attachments
2DBF1EBD-44CD-49FA-96BF-A5916DAAD655.jpeg and
locking ring removal tool.
FuelSenderRing.pdf
(696.67 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:27 pm

I also found better results with the floats lasting longer if you replaced the plastic one with a brass soldered one that’s for a 65 mustang, it’s an exact replacement and not much money and doesn’t get attacked by the ethanol and yes works in the MGB and the Lotus, Gordon
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TonyA » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:57 pm

Brass float debatable: if seams are soldered, not good for ethanol petrol,; if seams are pressed, how tight.for how long ?

TonyA
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:30 am

Hi. Thanks for posting that. I couldn't read all the pdf, and found the document on the mg site, so thought I'd be helpful and upload it :). I've attached the pdf broken into three parts - in hindsight I could have just posted the link to the file: http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/sender.htm

Sean.

Fuel Gauge Sender part 1.pdf
(1.77 MiB) Downloaded 110 times

Fuel Gauge Sender part 2.pdf
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 91 times

Fuel Gauge Sender part 3.pdf
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:06 pm

Very nice discussion. Thanks for all that material, Tony and Sean.

But . . . still haven't heard any brilliant ideas about petrol-and-ethanol-proof sealing rings. Any tips?

I am currently using a hand-made gasket made from left-over cam cover gasket material, which material is from SJ Sports Cars. Their cam cover gasket material is two layers of that cork-with-black-glue, and a foil layer in the middle. So far seems to be holding back the gasoline.
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyA » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:08 pm

Nitrile rubber and nitrile cork (made of cork particles with a nitrile rubber binder) are resistant to petrol and ethanol., I would caution against using a gasket designed for oil, like a cam cover gasket unless you can be sure.!
Cheers..TonyA
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: