what modern radio in a plus 2

PostPost by: ragtop » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:49 am

Has anyone fitted a new modern radio in the plus 2 aperture.I need it to have bluetooth,USB,and SD card and not to be DAB as using the original electric aerial,although i understand there is a converter to get round that.The main problem as i understand is the depth due to the heater box,looked at the parrot asteroid but not a big fan.Does not really need to be retro looking but would help if it was
ragtop
New-tral

PostPost by: Foxie » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:34 am

I cut a recess in the heater box and sealed it with a "tray" of light aluminium.

:)
Attachments
Heater.jpg and
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: spyzee » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:06 pm

The Pioneer MVH-X370BT (or similar) will fit perfectly as it is a small form factor model with USB, bluetooth and microphone for hands free calls. Unfortunately it doesn't have an SD slot but perhaps a later model in the range may have this feature. Worth an investigative look perhaps.

Colin.
1971 +2S 180/5 Spyder Zetec
spyzee
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:12 pm

I guess it depends if you just want to fill the hole in the dash or listen to it ( it will have quite a bit of noise to compete with in an elan).
I fitted a Retrosound unit that fits fine and has Bluetooth and multiple inputs but they are quite expensive if you don’t require any of this functionality.
There are plenty of slim units with radio and sd card inputs that will fit if filling the hole is your priority
There are various looks you can get with the Retrosound items mine is pictured
Ed
Not sure why it’s attached upside down the actual picture is the right way?
Attachments
49DCD6F8-BF5C-4F7C-8744-857F65F555C1.jpeg and
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:50 pm

I bought a low cost (c £20) Bluetooth device last year, with a classic 'look'; it was for my S3 but I haven't gotten around to fitting it yet. It's very shallow so almost certainly will fit in a Plus 2 Dash.

Alas that particular device seem to not be on sale anymore, but if you go to Amazon and search for "Car Stereo with Bluetooth" you will find similar devices.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:19 am

spyzee wrote:The Pioneer MVH-X370BT (or similar) will fit perfectly as it is a small form factor model with USB, bluetooth and microphone for hands free calls. Unfortunately it doesn't have an SD slot but perhaps a later model in the range may have this feature. Worth an investigative look perhaps.

Colin.

These, and a bunch of other Pioneer are “short dash”, they are only about 4” long. I haven’t fit or installed them yet. They are also very light in weight.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:04 am

68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:50 am

Yes, that's one of the ones you will find on Amazon, slightly cheaper ?

Very similat to what I bought, I expect the innards are identical, just the mouldings of the Facia being different.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bodmin » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:24 pm

Forget the radio. Just use a Bluetooth speaker hidden anywhere in the car. All music, playlists, & radio stations available on your phone which can be mounted conveniently. Recharge the speaker every so often.

Although it escapes me why anyone would wasn’t to listen to anything other than the engine!
71 Elan Sprint FHC Pistachio
36/0262E
Bodmin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:27 pm

Bodmin wrote:Forget the radio. Just use a Bluetooth speaker hidden anywhere in the car. All music, playlists, & radio stations available on your phone which can be mounted conveniently. Recharge the speaker every so often.

Although it escapes me why anyone would wasn’t to listen to anything other than the engine!

That's just one of the capabilities of the devices I'm describing, but you use the speakers already existing in the car plus there are other useful features, all for around £20
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jeff jackson » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:20 pm

have a look here:
https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-u ... ss-players
Pretty much any mechless unit will fit now.
I did cut out my heater as Foxie did some years ago. I have a mechless unit in now, so I didnt need to do that, but mechless were not around then!
Jeff 72+2.
jeff jackson
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gazzweld » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:14 am

i put in a cheapie, vintage look radio from ebay. $29.00. looks ok and has usb, bluetooth, sd, mp3 etc. fits good and works ok. can’t hear the radio when driving anyway so just listen to the twincam.
gazzweld
New-tral

PostPost by: berni29 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:09 pm

Hi

Interesting to see al the modern day options. I wasn't going to bother with a radio in my +2, but actually will get one of those cheap ebay retro things. They actually look OK. By that I mean fairly cheap and nasty just like radios from that era. I have a decent amplifier I might run it through also.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:15 pm

I like the hidden Bluetooth amps, as you European folk have FM over your cell phones I believe.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:34 am

Hi Ragtop,
Not exactly an answer to your question, but I have fitted one of these cigarette packet sized Bluetooth amplifiers to my Elan, and left the old AM radio in place for the authentic look.
I listen to internet radio, but something like Spotify or an offline playlist or podcast etc works. The reproduction is very good.
Also, refer to h20hamelam’s comment above.
https://www.electrovision.co.uk/public/ ... _id=B429BL
Cheers,
Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: