+2 window motors

PostPost by: Steve Brooks » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:42 am

Hello chaps, has anybody had their window motors refurbished lately.recommendations?. 49 years service and like most of us, not as quick as we once were.Thanks Steve
72 Elan +2S 130/5
Put in the garage after a mot pass in 2012,trying to make it back out.(Almost there)
Steve Brooks
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:21 pm

Try a good battery on each connector to the motor body ( mind your fingers ) it might be electrical ?

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:49 pm

Steve, it has been a while, but I sourced replacement rebuilt units through my local chain auto parts store. Not sure about UK availability though. I have posted some information before, so apologies if you have seen this. If you use “Cardone” in the search box you will see several links to helpful threads with part numbers.

The motors are a GM/Delco unit used in many contemporary models. The call up I used is a 1969 Chevelle front door motors. Several other Buick, Chev, & Olds cars use the same motors. Note Lotus swapped sides, so the left side motor in the Plus 2 is from the right side in the donor vehicle. A company in the US called Cardone supplies the rebuilt motors; they take yours as a core. Note you need to retain your drive gear, so open the package before handing over your core.

HTH

Stu in Canada
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:42 pm

+1 To what John and Stu said. I found that the Card one motors didn't perform any better in the car than the old motors, and cleaning the contacts inside the switches didn't either and they had a lot of carbon-buildup on the contacts. But running a new, heavy-gauge earth-lead straight from the motors to the chassis bolts behind the dashboard made the windows move with authority! So my advice is make the electrics are sound before spending money on motors, but if you do need motors then the ones Stu described are correct.

Also make sure that old hardened grease is cleared away from all the moving bits and replaced with some fresh stuff.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: