Horn does not go off

PostPost by: Lotus 50 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:36 pm

My horn is stuck on. Would the first thing to do be to replace the switch? It's a combined horn, indicators, and dipswitch switch.

Do I need to pull the steering wheel to remove the upper binnacle? Someone, probably a younger me, tightened the steering wheel nut too tight. I can't free it.

Thanks for any advice
Lotus 50
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:26 am

You likely have a short in the system, providing a constant earth to the horn so it can sound. Or if you have a twist that could be jammed.

Normal the horn is on the steering wheel not a stalk. So hard to advise but you will need to remove the steering wheel to get the bincle off.

After that you need to test switch or locate other source of ground.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:39 pm

have you checked if it is not the steering wheel hub touching the (grounded) metallic flange by any chance ?
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:08 pm

Early Plus 2's with the non-collapsible steering column had a single column stalk as described by Lotus 50.
The binnacle should come off without removing the steering wheel. Have you considered disconnecting the wiring behind the dash to isolate the switch to see if that is where the problem is before replacing the switch?
Brian.
column wiring.jpg and
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Lotus 50 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:39 am

I was afraid to try to force the upper binnacle past the steering wheel as I didn't want to break the binnacle. Are replacement binnacles available? For that matter, is the switch available?

As noted, I have an early Plus 2 with a non collapsible steering column. The stalk is the high beam switch, the horn switch, and of course operates the turn signals.

I am afraid of tackling wiring in general, but I think I cold manage replacing the switch. I try to avoid looking behind the dash.

Pure (short term?) luck, the problem went away.
Lotus 50
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: