+2 on a hoist

PostPost by: gazzweld » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:30 am

the car club that i belong to inspects the cars annually for club rego, and they would like to put the +2 up on the 2 post hoist instead of the 4 post that it usually gets put on for inspection. it won’t fit on the 2 post because the support arms can’t reach to any chassis or suspension points so it was suggested to lift the car via the 4 jacking points in the side rails. i am worried that the chassis will pull from under the body as there are only 10 bolts holding the body onto the top of the chassis. what are your thoughts please.
gazzweld
New-tral

PostPost by: jono » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:12 am

It's not a problem - I used to do this all the time and even leave it up there over winter.

However, as a precaution I made some lengths of 100mm x 50mm which I put under each side of the car between the front and rear jacking points and used those to spread the load. I also glued 10mm closed cell foam to the top of them.

However I would certainly advise caution unless you know that your metal sill members are in good condition/have been replaced.
Attachments
P1070955 (Copy).jpg and
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:51 pm

My car spends many months at a time in the air supported under the sills (quickjack), I have had no issues, but also use larger full length spreader (similiar to Jono) and place it carefully to pick up stronger bits of the body.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gazzweld » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:43 am

thanks for your replies guys. i will feel more relaxed now when it goes on the hoist. l have machined 4 spigots with 100x6 mm discs as a base to locate in the jacking points and then sit onto each hoist arm. when i restored the car back in 1998, i made heavy duty, fully sealed sill members, so they should be fine.
Attachments
AAF95D2A-ADD2-4C1E-AB22-D59DCEADCE89.jpeg and
gazzweld
New-tral

Total Online: