How to fit - Door (waist) chrome strip

PostPost by: NYK » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:16 pm

I’ve pretty much finished the 5 year £30k rebuilt of my Plus 2. The final job prior to being able to photograph it for insurance purposes is fitting the external waist chrome strip on the door. I managed to do the o/s but it was a bastard of a job and the n/s is not proving any easier.

It’s a high risk job as it would be really easy to mess up the recently chromed strip or the paintwork. The retaining clips I purchased from Sue Miller were of a slightly different design to those I took off. Thinking that might have been the problem I have re-used the original clips on the n/s and if anything they may be even more difficult.

The technique of fitting the strip that I’m using is to hook the top of the chrome strip over the top of the clip and then try to push the bottom of the chrome strip over the bottom of the clip. I’ve even tried tapping the chrome strip with a bubbler block on the strip and using a rubber mallet to tap the rubber block. Needles to say, but I shall, this is not working either. There seems to be no give in the chrome strip or the clip to enable them to clip together.
So does anyone have any proven technique that does not result in damage to the strip or paintwork?

I got the final bits of trim back from the upholsterer this week, the door cards. This is my finished interior which I’m generally quite pleased with.

32C90292-5B12-4DF9-B638-7A66C8B68C6D.jpeg and
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:00 pm

Can't offer any advice about the chrome strips, sorry, however I do think the interior looks beautiful!...Just wondering what car those lovely looking seats were originally from?

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: davidj » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:29 pm

Yes, I was very nervous doing this both on my +2 and S3 but was successful with a bit of effort and brute force. Like you, I hooked it over the top and hit the lower edge. I think I had the "claw" end of the clip at the top so the curved section is sprung back the when the strip is hit. I am sure you have checked the clips all line up? I think my clips came from Matty's.
davidj
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:52 pm

alanr wrote:Can't offer any advice about the chrome strips, sorry, however I do think the interior looks beautiful!...Just wondering what car those lovely looking seats were originally from?

Alan.

Thanks Alan, I went for MX5 seats there are different variants from memory these were Mk2.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: NYK » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:58 pm

davidj wrote:Yes, I was very nervous doing this both on my +2 and S3 but was successful with a bit of effort and brute force. Like you, I hooked it over the top and hit the lower edge. I think I had the "claw" end of the clip at the top so the curved section is sprung back the when the strip is hit. I am sure you have checked the clips all line up? I think my clips came from Matty's.

Well it sounds like there’s no special trick to fitting the chrome strip just brute force and ignorance. I think I’ll swap to the new ones I have which have the ‘claw’, I fitted them as you describe, claw to the top.
NYK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:02 am

Only refitted mine to old clips and paint that I am not concerned about but followed the same method. Hook over one edge of the clip and a few knocks with something suitable. Might have been a dead blow hammer, mallet or hammer and length of wood.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:22 am

This is how I fitted my Strip.

Clip.JPG and

Note Clips are upwards.

Trim.JPG and

The top of the Strip hangs over the clips, then I used the palm of my hand to hit them onto the clips.
It helps if you push the strip down over the clips, before hitting it at the bottom downwards and into the car.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: