Central console cover?

PostPost by: JeffP » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:50 pm

I'm starting to restore a 1969 Elan Plus2. Currently, the central console is bare plastic with the lid of the central box in the "perforated" seam welded vinyl. For this year, it is an early Federal spec car, should the central console be covered in black vinyl or is the bare plastic original?
JeffP
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:52 pm

I believe the pre-federal +2’s are this uncovered, While the later +2’s are covered.
Who knows what might have been correct?
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:10 pm

Does it look like:
https://famousfranks.com/listing-page/l ... r-console/

I'd guess that it is correct/original for a 69 +2. I am not sure when the switch to vinyl covered center console happened but I believe it was redesigned to a two piece design at the same time. So should be easy to tell.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: McBiter » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:10 pm

I happened to glance at this thread and your lead to a replacement centre cover is brilliant!
I'd thought to re-make one from the bits of mine that remain and only one question remains.

Does anyone know if they are available in the UK?
McBiter
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:00 pm

FamousFrank who makes them posts on here. I don't know if they are available in the UK. I have vague memories that maybe a batch got sent to the UK. Best best would be to contact the seller directly and he be able to advise on if nayone in the UK sells them or likely cost to get one to the UK.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:30 pm

Jeff, the one-piece, bare plastic type like shown on Frank's site is correct for your car. I have one of Frank's consoles in my federal '70 and it's a great part, very high quality. You will have to trim it to fit and cut the hole for the shift lever yourself, but those are not bad things given the amount of variance that can occur from car to car.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus 50 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:32 pm

I have a damaged center console that has resided in my garage since the mid 80’s. I found a better one from a Plus 2 that was being parted out. I kept the original in case I ever damaged the better one.

Now I see Famous Frank makes new ones. Should I throw out my old one or might it have value? We are consolidating from two houses to one.
Lotus 50
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:55 pm

^ Don’t throw anything out. Someone will want it.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: