Petrol tank rubbers

PostPost by: RedBarnMan » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:27 pm

Just taken out my +2S130/5 petrol tank to give it the slosh treatment to prevent future problems with rust. Two things have got me thinking. The rubber filler elbow sits in petrol if you more than half fill the tank, corner vigorously or park on a hill. My 'rubber' elbow has all the flexibility of Bakelite so a new one will go on but should this be in ethanol compatible rubber? The second rubber part is the level sender seal ring - again should this be ethanol resistant like the R9 carburettor hoses.
RedBarnMan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:33 pm

Would seem eminently sensible to me if you can find any. Isn’t the sender unit gasket fork?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:55 pm

I would replace the elbow with new. I haven't had any issue with the standard rubber sender gasket on mine reacting to the ethanol fuel here but very rare I have the fuel level that high in the car.

I have noticed fuel smells in the boot which i am not sure of the cause and plan to replace the seal and revisit my breather mods.

I think its the same setup as on Land Rovers so shouldn't be hard to find one, if not easy to make from a sheet of suitable rubber.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:00 pm

Mabel,

I agree and intend to use a suitable rubber, that I think is Viton or equivalent. Do you have experience?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:02 pm

mbell,

Please excuse the typo. Note or self, proof read before sending.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:04 pm

Bloody hell got it wrong twice!

Apologies

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:36 pm

Hi Richard,

No experience as such, part from 6+ years ago buying some suitable fuel line. Quick google suggest Neoprene maybe good and bit hit and miss for Viton. At some point will look at it more but if anyone has already done the reseach would be interested to hear.

Cheers,

Mark
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RedBarnMan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:49 pm

From memory the tank sender on my S3 Elan had a cork gasket and was retained by 6 screws. The +2S130 has a rubber gasket and is retained by a ring which tightens down as it is turned 120 degrees. I'm fairly sure the rubber ring is the same as used on 1970's Triumphs e.g Herald, Spitfire and probably a lot more. The gasket needs replacing after dismantling because it will have compressed over the years and the clamp force may not be high enough to re-seal although Hylomar or Wellseal may work.
Back in the 1970's when I ran the S3 I re-fitted the sender unit using this new wonder stuff called Silicone Rubber as the lab I was working in had some available. Big mistake, Silicone expands in petrol and the 6 blobs pushed out of the thread holes when the unit was screwed back on then lay in the tank awaiting the best moment to block the fuel pipe. This happened late at night returning from Silverstone as I was half way past overtaking a coach on a single carriageway. Fortunately we were the only two vehicles on the road and disaster was averted. Lesson learnt, I think I managed to dislodge the blob by blowing down the fuel pipe from the carburettors. We got home a little later than planned and a little woozy from petrol fumes.
RedBarnMan
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: