Time for our favourite game… ‘what’s this noise?’

PostPost by: hysteric » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:40 pm

Hi all, happy Friday all and hope you have some sun where you are.

Had a cracking drive with my +2 this week but can anyone help with this strange ‘whirring’ sound usually noticeable when I come off the loud pedal.

https://youtube.com/shorts/LgtuPSbC9CM?feature=share

Thanks and have a good weekend all!
Vimal.
hysteric
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: benymazz » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:17 pm

Where does it sound like the noise is coming from? Wheel, differential, gearbox?

-Ben
1965 S2 26/4623
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
"I'm never gonna financially recover from this"
benymazz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:01 pm

It might be the exhaust contacting something on overrun - worth a quick look?

You could also have a look at the diff mountings to check they are tight. Also check anything that might be loose under the car, or anywhere really. After that, if no joy, you have to try and pin-point the noise.....

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:05 pm

Can’t comment on a plus 2, but I sometimes have to tighten the dash screws a little on the Sprint
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: hysteric » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:33 pm

Thanks all… difficult to tell but the sound seems to coming from the dash area so will tighten up there and work back to the exhaust mounting.
hysteric
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:50 pm

Your doomed I tell you - your doomed.....................
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:17 pm

Hi

Slack timing chain ??

Check it
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: sprintsoft » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:23 pm

That’s a gearbox buzz or rattle, to verify remove the gear lever gaiter and any padding and take it out for a run, the noise should become obvious if it is gearbox…
72 Sprint - 0363E
74 S130/5 - 1931L
sprintsoft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:40 am

Hi Vimal

Did you identify your noise

We would like to what it was
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: hysteric » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:26 am

Hi all, thanks for the many suggestions, unfortunately haven't had time to properly investigate other than the dash is secure so next is a cursory check underneath and drive without the gear gaiter. Will keep you posted.
hysteric
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:04 pm

+1 exhaust
While under there check the UJs. I had a failure of these that sounded similar on the overrun.
Cam Chain? Would have gradually crept up on you without you noticing..

Is the noise new & fully formed when it became apparent or has it been gradually getting worse?

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Harvey » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:51 am

Hysteric,

Take a look at the long post in the Plus 2 forum with the name "Metallic Rattle." Two of us on that post have (and for me still have) the noise you have recorded on overrun. Mine sounds like it comes from the gearbox and, although several knowledgeable mechanics have been inside it, no one is able to eliminate it. I explored other sources of the noise even going to ridiculous lengths including having my drive shaft shortened. Finally, I put some sound proofing material around the shift lever, put the center console over it and have learned to live with it.

I hope that someday someone has the answer to this annoying noise. I've given up trying to find it..

Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: sprintsoft » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:46 pm

Hi Lee,

I just read through your 2019 saga of the Metallic rattle... top marks to you for perseverance and leaving no stone unturned!

I guess the only thing left would be to rebuild the box from scratch?

regards
Iain
72 Sprint - 0363E
74 S130/5 - 1931L
sprintsoft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Harvey » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:20 pm

iain

That is an option I haven't pursued. I did have a Voigt T9 five speed on order for a couple years but finally gave up due to production problems.

Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: hysteric » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:15 am

Harvey wrote:Hysteric,

Take a look at the long post in the Plus 2 forum with the name "Metallic Rattle." Two of us on that post have (and for me still have) the noise you have recorded on overrun. Mine sounds like it comes from the gearbox and, although several knowledgeable mechanics have been inside it, no one is able to eliminate it. I explored other sources of the noise even going to ridiculous lengths including having my drive shaft shortened. Finally, I put some sound proofing material around the shift lever, put the center console over it and have learned to live with it.

I hope that someday someone has the answer to this annoying noise. I've given up trying to find it..

Lee

Hi Lee, that is a truly epic battle you've had and hats off to your determination! thanks very much for the pointer.

With regards my car, I've taken it out on 1 hour journeys again and it hasn't presented again. Perhaps very very slightly but not anything like it was when I first heard it.

Do Elan's self fix? :D

I think I will still have a nosey under the car for anything loose.
hysteric
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: