Suggestion for curing bonnet release paranoia

PostPost by: sabbot » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:41 am

One of the last things I did during the reassembly of my +2 was to fit the bonnet / hood latches. Being paranoid about the possibility of the cable breaking with the bonnet closed I decides to fit a couple of fail safe cables. I thought that this post might might help others with similar paranoia. The failsafes are just 12” lengths of 1/16” stainless steel cable that loop over the bonnet pull lever and cable and pass through two small holes that I drilled in the bulkhead before joining the ends with an electrical cable connector. If the main cable ever fails each of the failsafes can be pulled by reaching up behind the dash. The failsafe cables are quite discrete and now that they are fitted I can almost guarantee that I’ll never need them.
Attachments
35C21ECB-3FA2-4ABB-A8D3-809ACEE2FBAD.jpeg and
4D8D2043-AA54-4170-BEEC-F522BC93DB3D.jpeg and
sabbot
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:49 pm

Thanks, a much better solution than mine. I have taken some trouble to make the catches removable from inside the vehicle, but difficult to reach.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:51 pm

+2
Very smart, I will be adding this to mine!
So thanks
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Plus 2 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:34 pm

Old member just logging in to answer a PM that came to my email and saw this post........did the same thing 40 years ago.

Also added some years later a remote solenoid for the boot opening again with a stainless push switch in the other door aperture surround as a safety precaution.

Sold the car many years ago and hope it still survives......I know the buyer was a member here

Just bought a new Tesla EV....well a few months ago actually when he (Musky) decided to accept bitcoin.....only cost me 3 which I picked up many years ago for a few pounds each...... :D
Attachments
DSCF1966.JPG and
DSCF5282.JPG and
Plus 2
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: