Lotus Elan

low appetite for plus 2 - or poor appetite for mods ?

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:11 pm

Slowtus wrote:
PS, the first one to mutter that the M100 is not a true Lotus because it is FWD etc has my permission to go for a walk down the middle of a busy highway, at night, wearing a blindfold.


Is that the one that's like an Elan with a Zetec? ....... Not a real Lotus and its a kit car and why didnt you buy an MX5 or anything else that didn't please you but pleased me because i know better than you?

only saying! :mrgreen:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2590
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: Slowtus » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Spyder fan wrote:
Slowtus wrote:
PS, the first one to mutter that the M100 is not a true Lotus because it is FWD etc has my permission to go for a walk down the middle of a busy highway, at night, wearing a blindfold.


Is that the one that's like an Elan with a Zetec? ....... Not a real Lotus and its a kit car and why didnt you buy an MX5 or anything else that didn't please you but pleased me because i know better than you?

only saying! :mrgreen:


Enjoy that walk. :lol:
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Location: Canada

PostPost by: stugilmour » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:11 pm

Interesting project Slotus. Sorta like a Lincoln Pub Crawl stretch limo with a hot tub for a trunk. :D
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
User avatar
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1830
Joined: 03 Sep 2007
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:08 pm

Spyder fan wrote:
Slowtus wrote:
PS, the first one to mutter that the M100 is not a true Lotus because it is FWD etc has my permission to go for a walk down the middle of a busy highway, at night, wearing a blindfold.


Is that the one that's like an Elan with a Zetec? ....... Not a real Lotus and its a kit car and why didnt you buy an MX5 or anything else that didn't please you but pleased me because i know better than you?

only saying! :mrgreen:



While I dont think that Spyder fan was knocking anything other than purists. Think your safe Slowtus.

I am also happy it is a M100, as I think the Lotus naming committee was out of it with the name they chose. While I like your stretched idea, seems to me thats a monumental amount of work. Do you expect it will handle much different. I know in BC, and I think ON is the same. Frame modifications are not permitted. This may not be true for classic cars or cars over 25 years old or less than 3000 produced in the year.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
User avatar
h20hamelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 910
Joined: 25 Sep 2010
Location: W Kootenay’s B.C.

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:47 pm

I’m never knowingly understood :mrgreen:

M100’s are one of the most underestimated Lotus cars, incredible handling and very easy to live with, almost a practical car....steady on!
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2590
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:13 pm

Slow day on the forum and in the garage. :roll:
70elan hemi copy.jpg and
Bud
1970 +2S Fed
"Every Lotus that an owner modifies makes yours worth that much more." - You're welcome!
User avatar
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: 05 Nov 2011
Location: Winnemucca, NV, USA

PostPost by: Slowtus » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:06 pm

stugilmour wrote:Interesting project Slotus. Sorta like a Lincoln Pub Crawl stretch limo with a hot tub for a trunk. :D


My S2000 drivetrain into the Cortina took me 5 years so don't hold your breath :D

If someone would Photoshop this photo, adding say, 18" just behind the door you will see what I mean.

DSC00002 (4).JPG and


Or you won't...when I mentioned this on the M100 site I was roundly scolded for even SUGGESTING such a thing. :D
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Location: Canada

PostPost by: Slowtus » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:16 pm

h20hamelan wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:
Slowtus wrote:
PS, the first one to mutter that the M100 is not a true Lotus because it is FWD etc has my permission to go for a walk down the middle of a busy highway, at night, wearing a blindfold.


Is that the one that's like an Elan with a Zetec? ....... Not a real Lotus and its a kit car and why didnt you buy an MX5 or anything else that didn't please you but pleased me because i know better than you?

only saying! :mrgreen:



While I dont think that Spyder fan was knocking anything other than purists. Think your safe Slowtus.

I am also happy it is a M100, as I think the Lotus naming committee was out of it with the name they chose. While I like your stretched idea, seems to me thats a monumental amount of work. Do you expect it will handle much different. I know in BC, and I think ON is the same. Frame modifications are not permitted. This may not be true for classic cars or cars over 25 years old or less than 3000 produced in the year.


I did give some (actually a LOT of) thought on what that stretchy bit would do to the handling, did my calculations, talked to people smarter than me, ie, most people and the consensus was...no idea, gonna have to try it and see.

Maybe I should go 4 wheel drive while I'm at it..."well, while I'm in there..." :D

Nothing ventured, nothing destroyed.

So, why do I still have the M100 when I cannot abide the side view? It is as reliable as could be, handles better than many of that ilk and of that era (including Miatas) the heating is wonderful and the AC works perfectly etc.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Location: Canada

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:36 pm

Slowtus wrote:Or you won't...when I mentioned this on the M100 site I was roundly scolded for even SUGGESTING such a thing. :D


Maybe lotuselancentral is better/more open to fun stuff
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
User avatar
h20hamelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 910
Joined: 25 Sep 2010
Location: W Kootenay’s B.C.

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:42 pm

Slowtus wrote:Maybe I should go 4 wheel drive while I'm at it..."well, while I'm in there..." :D
Nothing ventured, nothing destroyed.
So, why do I still have the M100 when I cannot abide the side view? It is as reliable as could be, handles better than many of that ilk and of that era (including Miatas) the heating is wonderful and the AC works perfectly etc.


I read somewhere that a 4 wheel drive version was planed for the future. (And a +2!) Hence the Excel rear suspenders.

I nearly bought an M100 but thought it was too fat with daft red instruments. With a lump of a dashboard that looked like it came out of an old Astra yet cost them £100K - why? (Also an awful floppy gear change but I imagine that could be fixed.) Still a performance bargain.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1246
Joined: 12 Jan 2015
Location: amersham

PostPost by: 2cams70 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:11 pm

I try not to be too brand specific with regards to cars I like. Every manufacturer produces models that are good and models that are duds. I'm not too keen on manufacturers that copy the good ideas of others however and try to claim them as their own. Mazda MX5 is a copy of the Lotus Elan. Full stop. If it's better it's no surprise given the extra 30 years in development time. When they first introduced it they banged on endlessly about how they analysed the character of classic British sports cars (the MGB was mentioned constantly). Did they mention much about the Lotus Elan?? No of course not because that's the one they copied and they hoped no one would notice!! Toyota when they first introduced their mainstream 4 valves/cylinder engines (4AGE, etc.) constantly bragged about their "scissor gear" camshaft drive arrangement. That wasn't a Toyota idea. It was a Keith Duckworth idea. If you want a proper small mid priced sports car buy yourself a Honda S2000. Production cars with engines like that will never be built again. Prices are appreciating rapidly and for good reason.
1970 Ford Escort Twin Cam
1972 Ford Escort GT1600 Twin Cam
1980 Ford Escort 2.0 Ghia
Peugeot 505 GTI Wagons (5spdx1) (Autox1)
2015 Honda City 5spd.
2cams70
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: 10 Jun 2015
Location: Australia

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:42 pm

2cams70 wrote:.... Mazda MX5 is a copy of the Lotus Elan. Full stop. If it's better it's no surprise given the extra 30 years in development time. When they first introduced it they banged on endlessly about how they analysed the character of classic British sports cars (the MGB was mentioned constantly). Did they mention much about the Lotus Elan?? No of course not because that's the one they copied and they hoped no one would notice!!

In England they did and pointed out that they paid tribute with the front intake deliberately mimicking the Elan.

Perhaps they forgot that some of you Aussies are civilised too.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
User avatar
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1057
Joined: 03 Oct 2012
Location: Barnham, W Sussex, UK

PostPost by: 2cams70 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:54 pm

[
Quart Meg Miles wrote:In England they did and pointed out that they paid tribute with the front intake deliberately mimicking the Elan.


Oh of course it was JUST the look of the front air intake that they copied!!
1970 Ford Escort Twin Cam
1972 Ford Escort GT1600 Twin Cam
1980 Ford Escort 2.0 Ghia
Peugeot 505 GTI Wagons (5spdx1) (Autox1)
2015 Honda City 5spd.
2cams70
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: 10 Jun 2015
Location: Australia

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:55 am

2cams70 wrote: the character of classic British sports cars (the MGB was mentioned constantly). Did they mention much about the Lotus Elan?? No of course not because.


I thought it was because MG was not a legal threat, where as if they called it Lotus clone, they could get taken.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
User avatar
h20hamelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 910
Joined: 25 Sep 2010
Location: W Kootenay’s B.C.

PostPost by: Slowtus » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:30 am

Quart Meg Miles wrote:
2cams70 wrote:.... Mazda MX5 is a copy of the Lotus Elan. Full stop. If it's better it's no surprise given the extra 30 years in development time. When they first introduced it they banged on endlessly about how they analysed the character of classic British sports cars (the MGB was mentioned constantly). Did they mention much about the Lotus Elan?? No of course not because that's the one they copied and they hoped no one would notice!!

In England they did and pointed out that they paid tribute with the front intake deliberately mimicking the Elan.

Perhaps they forgot that some of you Aussies are civilised too.


I wouldn't wander to Miata.net with that above, they tend to hiss and spit, get in a snit and have a fit when that "theft" is mentioned.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear
 
Posts: 251
Joined: 22 Sep 2017
Location: Canada
PreviousNext

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests