1969 Plus 2 Rebuild

PostPost by: Darek Brewin » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:31 am

Hello Everyone, My name is Darek Brewin and I have been working on my Plus 2 for a little over 2 years now. I like to tell people that I bought a car that came in a dozen totes. I actually have never seen a complete Elan and have never sat in one beyond sitting on the floor of the shell. I stumbled upon this project on our local classified site and was brave/naive enough to take it on. User Dave240 is who I purchased this car from. I browse through this site very frequently and am impressed with everyone's willingness to share and collaborate.

IMG_4250.jpg and

In the first year I continued with disassembly and
sand blasted, powder coated and replaced the bushings in all control arms.
blasted, painted and rebuilt the brakes.
repaired my original frame and added reinforcements.
blasted and repainted the differential. Replaced the seals.
Upgraded the rear suspension to adjustable perches
blasted and painted the transmission, replaced all seals and gaskets.

IMG_4760.jpg and

In the second year, I assembled the chassis with all of the refurbished parts above.
Spent the whole summer removing all of the paint off of the body. This took months. The car was blue, green, yellow and green again over its life.
The body is in good shape with very little mechanical damage. I would say though that the fiberglass has dried out on the roof and hood. Both are in terrible condition with cracks everywhere. If I were in Europe, i would be looking for a new hood. One of the previous owners was a bondo sculptor. There was at least half an inch on the hood to make it flat again. The drivers front wheel arch was also filled in completely with Bondo. You can see this in the first pictures of the body when I picked it up.
I am glad to be done with the paint removal. As it is below zero C out, I cant do any more body work this year, but am looking forward to getting on with FG repairs and paint.

I am not sure as to how this portion of the front body should look. Any pointers on what is needed here would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_6392.jpg and

IMG_6396.jpg and

IMG_6394.jpg and

This winter I will be fabricating a new dashboard, testing all of the electrical components from the car and hopefully rebuild the pedal box.

Thanks, Darek Brewin
50/1462
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Darek Brewin
New-tral

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:06 pm

Looks like you’re doing a great job Darek. Very thorough!

My Plus 2 S is also 1969. Since it’s 50/1917, first registered in the October, it got me thinking that’s quite a lot of cars! I was reminded of this thread. You may already have seen it?

https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29832

Looking forward to seeing you driving yours.

Andy
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:18 pm

Yes, welcome.
There are some good points here on reinforcing floors, while you are there. I did, as it scared me how thin the floor actually is.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34021&p=230751#p230751

Also, some structural

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=35574&p=242966#p242966

See you on the near future, if your in the Kootenays ever. I dont make your area often anymore.
I am a early +2 as well.
Have you contacted Stu Gilmore yet? He would be very helpful.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:03 pm

If any of you gents need a rear windscreen, i have one available - it is heated and in good condition.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:10 pm

Excellent work Darek.

I am located in south Calgary and have a restored Federal Plus 2. Shoot me a PM at some point and we can swap contact information. Dave came down a couple of times and we swapped yarns. You are more than welcome to take a look at my car to check out details, but note I have a few non-stock elements at this point.

I became pretty expert on the Plus 2 wiring, and would be happy to offer assistance over the winter. Another local forum member just completed major retiring of his Plus 2 as well. Anyway, first step is to check out your exact year / model details. Note it is quite common for Canadian cars to be different versions and the registration & model/build dates to be a bit confused; eg my car is registered ‘71 but is actually a ‘69 Federal model for any wiring enquiries.

Consider joining the Lotus Car Club of BC. We now have several prairie members and have got together the odd time in Calgary. The club is presently doing their meetings on Zoom, which have been very well done and a lot of fun. Really a great group even if you are not normally a joiner type.

http://www.lccbc.ca/

Cheers!

Stu & Lynn
Attachments
89A90BC7-55D6-4D78-9ED3-261B018BF026.jpeg and
My car hanging out around Bragg Creek a few weeks ago
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: