VIN tag question

PostPost by: TomMull » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:44 pm

I have found posts and sources for the builders VIN plate that is under the bonnet but I have not found a source for the one under the windshield corner (1970 Plus2). This one is folded into a channel shape that wraps around the crash pad. I can still use mine but it's getting weak along the folds and I'd like to find a new one.
VIN Tag.jpg
VIN Tag.jpg (38.69 KiB) Viewed 1300 times

Tom
TomMull
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:38 pm

TomMull wrote:I have found posts and sources for the builders VIN plate that is under the bonnet but I have not found a source for the one under the windshield corner (1970 Plus2). This one is folded into a channel shape that wraps around the crash pad. I can still use mine but it's getting weak along the folds and I'd like to find a new one.
VIN Tag.jpg

Tom

Tom, I have never seen replacements for this tag.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TomMull » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:32 pm

Thanks, Phil. I appreciate the reply anyway. Tom
TomMull
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:20 pm

I would touch up the paint and leave it as is.

When I restored my Seven, the original plate was horrid, so I bought a repop and put it in the proper place, and attached the original behind the seat

All the repop plates are painted, not etched, so have no depth and are not as nice

I also have not seen this available
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TomMull » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:31 pm

Thanks Gus, looks like that's my best option. The reservation is that the old one is getting brittle along the folds. Perhaps reinforce with epoxy? Can't see how that would do any harm or erhaps cut off the printed part and stick it to a new aluminum backing?
Tom
TomMull
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:59 pm

Or perhaps bend up a piece of aluminum that fits just so to the back of it

allows you to do it wrong several times without destruction
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Team Lotus » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:52 pm

From memory these tags were only used on Federal cars......
Team Lotus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:06 pm

Team Lotus wrote:From memory these tags were only used on Federal cars......

That makes sense, neither of my cars has one and I don't remember seeing such plates on any UK cars until many years later.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TomMull » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:50 pm

All correct, FED cars only per USA import requirements beginning in '68. Still necessary here.

" Public VIN (since January 1, 1968 visible through the windshield)

In the United States, the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 (effective January 1, 1968) mandated certain safety requirements on vehicles to be sold in the USA such as side marker lights, safety belts and Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) visible on the dash through the windshield. This is VIN location has come to be known as the “public VIN” and is probably the VIN that you are most familiar with."

http://www.vintageautomotive.net/?tag=windshield-vin

By the way, the original design allowed for the removal of the crash pad without removing the tag, which is why it was folded around the pad. I had to remove it for a bit of glasswork on the deck under the pad.

Tom
TomMull
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:51 pm

Tom- I wouldn't cut that tag down and attach it to another piece. The small cut off rectangle glued to the new piece will be pretty obvious and may raise a red flag, all while you're already explaining to DMV why all the tags don't totally match.

It will be a lot easier to explain that you had to reinforce it by gluing the whole tag, cracks and all, to another piece, because it was falling apart. If done cleanly the subject probably won't even come up.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: