Any South East Florida Elan owners?

PostPost by: Courtlandt » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:35 pm

Hi I recently purchased and Lotus Elan +2 1971 - right hand drive - in rough shape with a missing head. In any case I'm not looking to be annoying - just looking for a local acquaintance I can ask for occasional guidance.

I do own and Jensen Healey (1973) and somewhat knowledgable in Lotus power-plants - but I've learned the details can be the killer - and any time saved is golden!

I live in Boynton Beach - very close to Downtown Delray Beach. I have attended many British car shows and various other automotive events and I have never come across this beautiful car.

The car is not in my presence yet - looking to freight it over from the west coast of Florida. If I have to - I'll get it myself.

I do have some questions on the head. Strombergs VS Webber. I have Strombergs on my JH and very pleased with them - and can various parts be interchanged with Triumph or MG etc.

Most Sincerely
-Courtlandt McQuire
Courtlandt
New-tral

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:51 am

Welcome Courtlandt!

You're in the right place for lots of opinions on these cars.

For parts interchange, this may be helpful:
http://gglotus.org/ggpart/ggpart.htm

Weber/Stromberg: I have not personally compared them, but I've gathered from lots of reading in this forum that it comes down to how you want to use the car, but that both are good and Strombergs are a bit underappreciated. A Stromberg head will certainly be less money and I expect easier to get, since more owners want to swap to Weber than the other way around.

Where on the west coast of FL is your car coming from? I'm merely curious because my Plus 2 began its US life in St. Pete, as did an Esprit I used to have.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:01 am

Welcome!!!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:36 am

It may be helpful to stay with the original Strombergs in this case, because you are already familiar with their operation. I myself am getting ready to step on the Weber learning curve, which I expect gets steeper the older I get!

John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Goldrob » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:31 pm

Welcome aboard !!!

I am currently up North but winter in West Palm....Jan through April. My plus 2 (501949) has Stroms…..I would be honored to answer any questions that you may have. I too have a JH along with an Interceptor....It appears we may have a bit to chat about!!
Goldrob
New-tral

PostPost by: Elan45 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:50 am

Welcome Courtlandt,

I am just north of Daytona, w/ a pair of Elan S3s. The Super Safety DHC is my 1st Lotus, starting in 1974. The front pillars failed in 1978 and I bought the early FHC to enjoy while I restored the DHC with a new galvo frame. Now the coupe is enjoying her turn on the body cart, but since it has never been subjected to northern winters, the original frame is ready to be reunited to the body.

I'm not a big car show guy, but I'm sure we'll bump into one another

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: benymazz » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:18 pm

I am in Daytona with my S2 from mid-August to early May for the next few years while I am at college
1965 S2 26/4623
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
"I'm never gonna financially recover from this"
benymazz
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: