Side-lights - bodywork shape

PostPost by: Iyarno » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:53 am

Hi all, can anyone help me with photos of how the bodywork under the sidelights 'should' look? My PO has done some interesting cutting as you can see from my photo. I'd like to get it back to how it should be, and open to suggestions on how to improve the fittings.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_3487.jpg and
Side lights bodywork
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:29 am

Here are mine - a bit more beef on them!

IMG_6394 2.JPG and

IMG_5244.JPG and

I notice that there are some differences in the sizes and hence the positions of the fixing holes especially on the top.....
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Iyarno » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:03 am

Thanks Matt. The lower pic seems to be original? I guess the screws to hold the lens on snagged the bodywork sometimes, hence some people taking a saw/file to make more space.

So, the light units should fit to the bodywork with the top/bottom screws, and the lens fits to the unit only with the screws at either side? I also wondered if the lens screws should just tap into the units - mine had nuts on the underside making it very tricky to remove - removing either a light pod or rad grill to access them.
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:07 pm

hi Lyarno

I think both the cuts are original - my lights fit in both no problem. There are two screw bosses in the lamp base, one top, one bottom to fit the lamp base to the body. In my case I've got four light units off the car at the moment, two have self tappers to fit the base to the body, two are damaged - the centre of the bosses has broken away and these have obviously non standard bigger screws and washers to compensate for damaged bosses on the base.
The parts manual says there are six screws to fit the bases to the body; I don't think this is right as there are only two holes in the base which match up with the holes on the body making only four needed. FYI from the parts list these base to body screws part number is DUCS0612 which should be a raised head countersunk, UNC, Screw, 6/16 in diameter, 12 mm long - which in fact appears to be the spec for the lens fitting screws. So I would go with two self tappers top and bottom of the base, and two of those folded steel clips on the body to take the screws.
HTHs
Matt
Last edited by Matt Elan on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:20 pm

And having actually read your post.....
The two lens screws should not have nuts on them they should screw into the lamp base. Then it’s easy to replace a bulb without dismantling the front end. Araldite the nuts onto the base if the threads are knackered or fill the holes in the base with jbweld and redrill and cut threads in them for a more elegant solution :-)
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Iyarno » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:48 pm

Hey Matt

Very helpful. Got me thinking...

Point 1. The diagram attached (as seen on https://www.rdent.com/manuals/index.html) shows the side-light base only having 3 screwholes (no top screwhole). This could explain why the parts manual says there are 6. I wonder if this is how Lotus/Lucas intended it to be, then realised at the factory it needed a screw at the top too. The top hole on my bases are defiantly an after thought as they look shabby and drill through Lucas markings.

Point 2. I have tried a UNC screw in my bases and to my surprise they grip. The problem is the screw is too large to fit through the lens.

After repairing the fibreglass, I'm going to try using 3 screws per unit. 1 screw at the bottom for the base only, then with the lens on, 2 screws through the lens, base and bodywork and into a folded steel clip. Thus avoiding the the need for the top screw. But I'll probably fail and need the top screw too.

I never though there would be so much to say about a side-light.

Ian
Attachments
side-light.gif and
Side light diagram - no top screw hole.
Iyarno
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:31 am

Hmmmm - you're right and my parts manual is the same - no top screw. That explains the 6 screws for fitting the light. But my four light units do have top and bottom mounts on the light body, and their two lens screws are too short to go into the body. I'll pop outside later and whip off the lens on my other Plus 2 and see how its attached.
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:10 pm

Here is one from my other plus 2 - it uses the top two screws and the single bottom screw to fix the body (and lens) in place. I guess this is the standard fitment.....

IMG_0333a.jpg and

IMG_0332s.jpg and

HTHs
Matt
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: