Possible new owner - could do with some help please!

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:24 am

Paul, remind me where you are located please..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 pm

Hi Jon, I'm in Suffolk.

Cheers

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:05 am

Ah OK.. otherwise I'd love to come and see it. :) But I'm a bit too far off.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:42 am

Where are you? Sorry abt that :)

That said, there will be delays, suddenly realised the ownership is not sorted (probably still in deceased name) and without V5 I can't just lift and shift! Maybe this is an omen.......I've had a chat and have details from DVLA and this week will see how to progress, obviously its the last thing she needs. BTW its been off the road 29yrs!

Cheers

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:00 am

In case you missed this post, here are a few titles definitely worth having:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=45875

The Buckland book is excellent, and though written for the Elan will have lots of valuable overlap for your +2.

The other titles you linked are also good.
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:59 pm

Just to say - thanks for all your advice and help - I'm now the perhaps dubious owner of the forlorn Elan +2 which is now @my garage. Luckily previous owner pushed brakes back so it rolls, we had fun getting it out (29yrs since moved!) The owners were sad to see it go but I'm on a promise to get it going again - OMG! Already my friend who trailored it here is envious :D Got the Bucklands book but looking for workshop manual - any recommendations for any more? Next step - look underneath, but the rust left on trailer doesn't feel good.....

Cheers

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:44 pm

The parts list is invaluable. you can find it on line(this forum or rdent online). I recommend printing the pictures on A3 and then writing notes on the pages. the part numbers for all the nuts n bolts can be deciphered to tell you what should be used where.
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:11 am

Hey Paul ! Just noticed you're suffolk based ..did you know there's a lotus meet at coach & horses melton near woodbridge thurs 27th feb 7pm . bite to eat and a beer ... 4th thurs every month
pm me if you're interested 8)
Rich
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:53 am

danbuoy1 wrote:Just to say - thanks for all your advice and help - I'm now the perhaps dubious owner of the forlorn Elan +2 which is now @my garage. Luckily previous owner pushed brakes back so it rolls, we had fun getting it out (29yrs since moved!) The owners were sad to see it go but I'm on a promise to get it going again - OMG! Already my friend who trailored it here is envious :D Got the Bucklands book but looking for workshop manual - any recommendations for any more? Next step - look underneath, but the rust left on trailer doesn't feel good.....

Cheers

Paul

I have a spare Workshop Manual (it's a photocopy, but otherwise complete) here, PM for details.

You should get the Miles Wilkins book on the Twin Cam engine.

I also have the Brooklands Elan Workshop Manual and Gordon Lund's restoration guide. I've read both but never referred to them since. All of what you need is in the Lotus manual.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:17 pm

wotsisname wrote:The parts list is invaluable. you can find it on line(this forum or rdent online). I recommend printing the pictures on A3 and then writing notes on the pages. the part numbers for all the nuts n bolts can be deciphered to tell you what should be used where.

Thats a great link - thanks! I know it sounds daft but I have no experience of these cars except at shows, so have no idea of what is original, add on or missing :) I'm not out to concourse but as it needs lots of work want to do a decent job. Not worried about DIY as have many years of keeping things going. I'm finding it interesting as having to learn about it, takes me back to when I first got my Triumph

At the moment space is my priority, along with trying to get engine to turn, will pour diesel down plug holes to help.

Cheers

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:22 pm

ps...a couple more daft questions...

Log book says Elan +2 S - what does the S mean?

and...

my trailor mate reckons it was originally blue - is the colour stamped somewhere or would it be heritage certificate?

Cheers

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:58 pm

There were +2, +2S, +2S130 deepening on age. So it is roughly the version/series of the +2 you have and will effect various features the car has compared to others.

Paint code is normally marked on the Vin plate, a capital L followed by a two digit number.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:43 am

to add to mbell... generally ( Lotus seemed to have a habit of using up parts between model changes) the S has these differences to the earlier cars....
additional front fog/driving lights.. and so a different grp nose.
different door locks.. separate external lock and handle
2 additional smaller dials on dash and rocker switches
different centre console and seats, headlining, boot lock, exhaust silencer.
Knowing this will help a lot when sourcing parts. Youll find the owners more than happy to discuss/ bore you with the details, me included
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: danbuoy1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:08 am

Thanks for the info, I'll get the vin plate details again (wrote them down somewhere!)

According to MOT its done around 85k, while I'll try to get engine going (won't turn on main pulley), whats the sort of life before rebuild - should I just do it anyway? It is looking more daunting every minute....

Cheers

Paul
danbuoy1
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:06 am

danbuoy1 wrote:Thanks for the info, I'll get the vin plate details again (wrote them down somewhere!)

According to MOT its done around 85k, while I'll try to get engine going (won't turn on main pulley), whats the sort of life before rebuild - should I just do it anyway? It is looking more daunting every minute....

Cheers

Paul

If it has not run for 29 years and has 85k miles done in the 70's and 80's with no rebuild it will be due one now. If it will not turn you need to pull it apart to find out whats stuck anyhow. Rebuilding a twin cam is the fun part of looking after a Lotus compared to doing body work :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: