More collectabls

PostPost by: Dargro » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:14 pm

Which is more desirable an early elsn+2 or a +2s am almost ready to add one to go with my s2 elise I know +2s is a better interior and big valve engine but is it a huge difference between the to engines and the driveabilty of a 4 spread vers 5 speed any advise thanks lads
Dargro
New-tral

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:28 am

Hi,

Whereabouts in Ireland are you? I?m in Wicklow. There are quite a few +2 Elans in Ireland. I believe it was because they were considered family saloons so had a lower insurance premium than the Elan!

Later ones were mostly (if not all?) were factory built. Early ones up ?til the +2S (again, I believe) could be built up from a kit.

Usual rules apply. Buy a good one (from an enthusiast) and you?ll have a good time.

Regards,
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:30 am

[quote="Bombay Racing Green"]Hi,

Whereabouts in Ireland are you? I?m in Wicklow. There are quite a few +2 Elans in Ireland. I believe it was because they were considered family saloons so had a lower insurance premium than the Elan!

Any Elans in County Mayo ? We have a house near Belmullett (occasionally it is not raining when we are there !!)
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Dargro » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:04 pm

Living in co meath always taught they a superb looking car seen one in London for sale a 68 +2 four speed they said had replacement lotus chassis at sometime just been recommissioned or dose that mean just get starting and stopping to get it sold its looks fairly original underneath still on rubber drives 14995 sterling never see them come up for sale in ireland really
Dargro
New-tral

PostPost by: Chrispy » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:33 pm

I've read in many places that the +2S 130/5's are the most sought after, but I'm not sure why. I prefer the early ones with the more basic interior and the nice toggle switches on the dash - though a 5 speed would be nice!

The one in the best condition for a reasonable amount of money would be my pick :wink:
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:12 am

Why a +2 S130/5 is sought after? At a guess:

• Less old (unlikely to make much difference)
  • Better appointed interior, more dials
  • More powerful engine - faster
  • 5 speed box for cruising, keeps up with motorway traffic easily and quietly
  • Fog / spot lights fitted
  • Most people think they are "sought after" so it tends to become a sort of self fulfilling prophesy

The five speed box isn't without its problems, mind. And the wiring loom had all of its relays cut out to save costs (apart from the starter solonoid - technically a relay - and horn relay). But you can sort these given time and inclination.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:11 pm

Drive as many as you can. If you haven't had an old clunker - sorry - classic it will be a bit different.
It's the only way you can discover if you would actually like one!
First or last are generally considered the most "sort after". Think an S1 Elan or Sprint.
It's down to you - which do you prefer?

Dargro wrote:I know +2s is a better interior and big valve engine but is it a huge difference between the to engines and the driveabilty of a 4 spread vers 5 speed any advise thanks lads

Only the S130 has the big valve engine. +2 / +2S / +2S130. 50 years on I doubt you would notice the difference.

BTW how comes I've suddenly gone down a gear? Is it a conspiracy again the 5 speed box?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:34 pm

You're obviously not "coveted" enough, Vince.. :lol:
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:27 pm

JonB wrote:You're obviously not "coveted" enough, Vince.. :lol:

A subtle hint or a plain case of ranidaphobia?

Just 'cos its yellow does not mean I don't have feelings!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:14 pm

Strike a light mate, I had to look that one up!

:lol:
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:26 pm

An early +2 will accept a Zetec as will a later example, whichever is cheapest will be the way to go, no point spending extra money on stuff you don?t need.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:48 pm

He didn't say he wanted a Zetec. Or do my aged, rheumy old eyes decieve me?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dargro » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:14 am

No I deffo don't want a zetec I'd see on utube one fitted with honda s2000 and honda 6 speed total nut ball on wheels but no ill stick to the original design thanks maybe a few mods for modern traffic but no more
Dargro
New-tral

PostPost by: JonB » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:43 am

Oh is that the yellow car doing doughnuts? Madder than a box of frogs.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dargro » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:04 am

Yea I think it is sound great and sure it's figures probably look great on paper but the +2 is from an time we're style and the hole feel of a sports car was pure magic total driver involment a complete mechanical machine no computers or drive aids that's why I love my elise it's just pure driving reminds of go karting as a kid but I love 60s and, 70s sports cars you can fix them with basic tools for me the fixing is a major part of the classic car ownership you have to been prepared to live with that
Dargro
New-tral

Next

Total Online: