Plus 2 values on the increase?

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:54 pm

It's funny i thought Elan sale prices in general had stalled in the last 2 or 3 years........ +2 project cars have been around ?10-12k with nice examples being around 20k (going of cars sold not just advertised). I keep coming across the same cars going round the dealers for silly money that don't seem to sell.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:43 pm

I'd rather they didn't increase in price . That way it'll keep the 'speculators' and 'opportunists' away and leave the cars for the purists :wink:
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:08 pm

theelanman wrote:if the calipers are an indication of the underside then it'll need a new chassis.......

The ad claims "Good sound chassis." Is the 'sound' crumbling rust? I don't think I've seen Lotus bumpers (front and rear) with more severe corrosion before. And the rims. This car looks like it spent a number of years below the high tide line on a beach. I can't imagine that the chassis would be in good condition given the other steel parts.

I wonder why there aren't any pictures of the underside? :shock:
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:19 pm

The moral of the story is leave your car in a barn to rot and then get Paul Clugston to sell it for you at double the value it was in the first place. :lol:
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:24 pm

JimE wrote:The moral of the story is leave your car in a barn to rot and then get Paul Clugston to sell it for you at double the value it was in the first place. :lol:

Funny! & what's with the Dog leash & golf tees? :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:42 pm

" Funny! & what's with the Dog leash & golf tees? :roll: "

Subliminal message....it's a dog ? and maybe it has a hole in one....of the uprights..

John :lol:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: EPC 394J » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:08 pm

As the OP in this thread. I did what I said I might.

Spoke to Andy Graham at Lotus, who confirmed all the original features on my car. Then contacted Club Lotus who, despite the fact my car is nothing like concourse, gave me a valuation of ?30k. Values of Plus 2s are currently very buoyant apparently!

I?m just glad I managed to put this in to my insurers now, rather than find myself under-insured should the worst happen.

Go careful out there!
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Plus 2S

BLL 315H in white.
EPC 394J
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:21 pm

There was a little article in the January issue of classic cars saying how the plus 2 was a smart long term buy. I?m on the other side of the country, but I?ll put a picture up when I?m home.
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:41 pm

Call me crazy (it happens a lot) but if/when I get back into this era of Lotus, it will be a Plus 2.

Owned both Elans and Plus2 so I 'get' both but the Plus 2 just calls to me. Often in the middle of the night which annoys the missus, but...

I hope the Plus2 DOES go up in value but ideally not before I grab another.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:47 am

Because I already own a Plus 2, I also hope it is becoming more valuable. But one has to be realistic where cash is concerned:

• Value is driven by market forces, not owner sentiment (unfortunately).
  • Classic car club valuations are generally not reliable (in terms of "market value"), though they might be better seen as a "rebuild cost".
  • If you want to know what a +2 might be worth, look at sold prices on eBay. Asking prices are no guide.
  • The last two Plus 2s to sell were a JPS at ?10,795 and a +2S130 with a cross flow engine for ?8150. Both needed paintwork according to the descriptions.
  • Optimistically priced cars (usually dealer cars) do not appear to sell. Example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382750981935 - this car has been listed for as long as I have owned my +2 (16 months). If it was really worth that, wouldn't it have sold by now?

I read this the other day: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47525435

It's about a US classic car dealer and how the bottom seems to have fallen out of the market lately. Granted he is on the other side of the pond, but you have to ask yourself if the same thing is happening here..
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chickenstock10k » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:07 am

chickenstock10k
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: persimmon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:04 am

That silver one with the awful stripe down the bonnet has been on ebay for years now.Maybe the seller`s thinking is that as values rise in line with UK inflation,there will come a point ,some time in the future , when the car`s asking price will be fair value.
By my calculations ( car 50 % overpriced , UK inflation 2.5 % ) that should take around 17 yrs ...hope the seller`s not waiting by the phone :mrgreen:
persimmon
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: