2018: A Peterborough Odyssey

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:19 pm

Continuing from the "Oversteer on cornering" thread (and keeping with the Stanley Kubrick theme), I now have to hire a transporter and take the Plus 2 to see the Spyders from Mars (alas for Ziggy!) in Peterborough. I'm going to take some photos and post them here, so the vicarious amongst you can get a fix / have a laugh / learn a lesson, even if it's based on what not to do! :lol:

So, let's summarise what we know so far.
  • Trailer hire care of BBB: http://www.transporterhire.co.uk/ - affordable, nearby and seem to have good terms. I can hire for a day and a half, pick up a transporter late afternoon, bring it home and load it, then drive to Peterborough really early next morning.
  • Spyder have said it should be repairable in a 3 hour window. This means I should be able to do a round trip in a day if I get there early enough (08:00AM). They are 160 miles away from here, but via M25/M1/A14 which are the very worst of roads.
  • I'll have to take at least a day off work. Scheduling is going to be a challenge.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:52 pm

I thought that you were ratchet strapping up the suspension so that you could drive it there without a trailer!!!!

Keep forgetting that there are so many snowflakes around :D :D

I once broke my Chapmanesque (= far to light for its loading) towing A-frame whilst towing my 7 back from a sprint at North Weald, strapped it up to pinch the broken weld closed than had to drive half the M25 very very slowly, it was terrifying. I added some triangulating gussets after that!

I was joking above in case you did not realise, smart move with the trailer and letting Spyder fix the chassis, take a few fire extinguishers with you, it wont be the time to find that theirs are empty or misplaced!!
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:01 pm

I?ve bookmarked this thread ready for the expedition north!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:11 pm

I dont think ive been more norf than M27..thats like a trip to Artic circle.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:54 pm

' via M25/M1/A14 which are the very worst of roads'

Much easier and direct to go M25 / A1 straight to Perterborough, then turn right and your there. Thats the way I go, albeit from much nearer than you.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:02 pm

Yes, the A1 is mostly dual carriageway.

Remember to check the classes on your driving licence; modern licences might not permit you to drive the transporter yourself.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Jon,
Good Luck. Do pass on my regards!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:15 pm

I'll be sure to mention you... not!

Meanwhile, a plan has been evolved. The transporter hire came in at a very reasonable ?105 for 5pm Wednesday to 8am Friday hire, which is perfect as it gives a whole day for the work to be carried out. It includes 350 miles of use, with each additional mile charged at 12p. I looked at the route and found I should just about be able to stay within the mileage allowance.

So, I will collect the transporter on Wednesday afternoon, drive it home and load the Elan, then drive the whole lot to Peterborough (kick off ~4am Thursday morning) to be there for opening time at Spyder (8:00am). Then hang around until the job is done, cough up and return home. I have family in Peterborough so I may visit them if standing around at Spyder gets too boring.

Your transportin' Pal,
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:50 pm

pauljones wrote:I dont think ive been more norf than M27..thats like a trip to Artic circle.

No Goodwood for you this weekend then
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:18 am

Successful trip?
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:50 am

It's next week. Kick off on Wednesday 21st March.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:19 am

Good choice, first day of spring I believe!
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Sean & Andy have more experience with +2 chassis than anyone in the business. If your problem can be solved without resorting to swapping the chassis then they will be able to do it.

Fingers crossed that the reason for your problem is not accident damage that has distorted the chassis beyond easy repair.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Thanks Alan, I feel so much better! :lol:
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:23 pm

JonB wrote:Thanks Alan, I feel so much better! :lol:

Sorry Jon, I?m in a pessimistic mood today, glass is half empty and there are no chocolate biscuits left in the tin :?

Wiggy will probably crack his knuckles and ask whether you considered using the proper tools. A large hammer and an acetylene torch will probably make an appearance soon after.

Have faith.....
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: