Plus 2 selling advice (UK)

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:30 pm

To my learned friends.

I'm mindfull to sell my Plus 2. I have owned it now for nearly 4 years having bought it as a scruffy runner and restored it to a lovely running car. It's a 1968 4 speed, but a previous owner upgraded it to what you might describe as 130 spec. To this end it has a reputedly tweaked engine, Dellorto 45s and a later oatmeal interior. I had the car stripped back to gelcoat in 2014 and it was painted Lagoon blue with a white roof. The paintwork has taken very well with just a few small blisters on the headlamps. Everything on the car works, it has many new parts including TTR solid driveshafts fitted in late 2017 and it drives superbly. Fantastic chrome, interior, dash etc.

Now for what some may consider to be the bad bit: It's on what I believe to be it's original chassis - I guess that this affects the value. There is no sign of corrosion or cracking, and prior to my ownership the car spent 10 years or more in a dry workshop away from the elements. I have masses of history dating back to the 1970s.

And hear is the crux of my post: What is a realistic asking price? I half-heartedly advertised it last year for ?18k (not on here) and had a couple of viewings but that's all so not much to go by.

I'd be grateful for anyones input on this. A couple of photos are attached. Car is in Hampshire (UK)
Simon
Attachments
20170530_184022_resized.jpg and
dscf1497.jpg and
dscf1493.jpg and
20170530_184001_resized.jpg and
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:22 am

Hi Simon, your car looks really lovely both outside and inside.
If your original chassis is in good condition, I can't see that being a problem, in fact some may like that originality. The white roof may be more a question of desirability but again, some may like it, it certainly looks smart in your photos.
As to the value...the one thing I have found is that it's very hard to put an exact value on these cars due to the varying packages on offer. Yours has lots of history, a good paint job and a good restoration. I personally think your price is about right and from experience, it only takes that one interested genuine person to want your car.
My car (very close number to yours) was a full nut and bolt restoration and I sold it for ?18,500 through Car & Classic. Some say that I could have got more but it was a good sale and I was happy with that figure ie I got my money back from the cost I put into it, which I suppose is the least you can hope for. As a private sale, you give no guarantee or warranty so sale prices compared to dealers are going to be different.
Anyway, I hope this helps and best of luck with the sale. Someone's going to get a lovely car :D

Kev
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:11 pm

I have to say Simon, that if I was looking to buy a +2 at the moment and had read your post, I would be extremely cautious.

You say that you had it professionally painted in 2014, yet less than 4 years later, you have blistering on the headlamp pods. As far as I am concerned, if it was properly painted, it should never blister, no matter the timescale, and we are only talking a short while here. If it were me, I would go back to your painters and complain.

You do not say who painted the car, or how much you paid, but if you paid a goodly sum, the Sale of Goods and Services Act states that a product should last a reasonable time, and that is up to 6 years. Don't let the firm fob you off with bulshit like 'It was only guaranteed for 1 year'. The only thing you want to hear from the company is 'We are so sorry, bring it in and we will correct it, foc'

What I am thinking of as a buyer is, if the headlamps have blistered, how do I know that the rest of the paintwork is not going to blister, so why pay a high price for the car?

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks for the replies - there's room for a few more.

So I have one upbeat and one doom-and-gloom reply. Leaves me in much the same position that I started out ?,

I'm not expecting everyone who's in the market for a +2 to be interested in mine, just looking for some idea of what it may realistically be worth.

I see cars for sale with asking prices anywhere between ?10k & ?35k. I'm guessing that mine is somewhere in between.

Anyone else for any views?
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:22 pm

I'd keep advertising it at ?18k . You never know who might come along. As long as you're not in any hurry and are prepared to refuse silly offers ....
You have a 'bitsa' car , neither one model nor the other .. the purists will pay more for the right car and yours will be on the cheaper side because of it ... with the spring & summer there might be a rising market again and you could strike lucky . It's all about taste & you can't second guess what folk will go for sometimes !
In the end , its not just how it looks but how it drives and how it sounds compared to the last one someone took out for a spin.
Make it easy for someone to fall in love with it by making sure everything is clean tidy & works, no nasty noises , smells , clunks , creaks , squeaks, whines etc.
good luck !
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:48 pm

I agree with Rich.
It is not an early +2 (any more), neither is it a S 130.

Pros
It is a fully sorted car that has had regular use (?)
It could probably be used as is without much additional expense.
The paint is at least acceptable with the question of the pods. (Does that matter?)
It is very pretty!

Cons
It is far from original and would be uneconomical to attempt return it to. (Assuming that was required.)
Interior also not an early +2.
Dash pretty but layout and script - unique.
Original chassis would not be relevant from an originality POV therefore a negative.

But spring is coming, prices may pick up and there is probably someone out there that would like it just the way it is!

Maximise its advantages, advertise at 18K and see what happens. You can always come down it is becomes
necessary.

Ensure the "punter" has insurance before offering a drive.

PS How is the column stalk (wiper / washer) attached ? (Marina / Triumph ?) I had considered that but it looked tricky.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:16 pm

Most of your market is reading these posts, so the idea of the disinterested party comes into play from the "not" side. :wink:

Like Europas, Plus 2's don't seem to bring the big bucks. My theory is "not a convertible, and too heavy to perform like a Just 2". I turned down a Just 2 for a bit more a few years back in pretty similar condition (restoration almost done) and have been kicking myself since. I have a Europa, so I was hunting soft-tops (but all of the cars I really liked were FHC's) Speaking of which, does anybody know if Gary Anderson still has the white FHC?

With the engine/transmission worth about half what you're asking, it's hard to say you're asking too much. And the buyer isn't obliged to offer you asking price, though they might worry about insulting you.

The value of a car, particularly a car like the ones we have, is whatever anyone will buy it for on a given day. I'd keep your asking price and invite insults. :D
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: frogeyesimon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:13 am

Thanks to everyone for their input - I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

<<
PS How is the column stalk (wiper / washer) attached ? (Marina / Triumph ?) I had considered that but it looked tricky.
>>

I will take some photographs this weekend and post them here.

Simon
==================
1968 +2S 130 50/1189
1959 Frogeye Sprite
frogeyesimon
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: