Sylvia Anderson's Elan

PostPost by: Slowtus » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:08 am

mdann wrote:A friend of mine is sorting through her late uncles house and has uncovered this SAR 900J buried in a garage, true condition unknown, can someone help us understand if this has any value?

Photo would help.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:03 pm

It will be very much condition related but if it still has it engine bix Diff it will be a few grand, if the chassis is good and body too then a few more grand at least. So don’t even think about scrapping it!

Can you try to post some photos that will help a lot?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mdann » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:24 pm

My uneducated estimation was £5k subject to it all being there and it not being too rotten. I should say, I sense this is less about the money and more what is the best thing to do with it. I have asked for some images, at the moment they can't even get into the garage to take pictures and the few that have been taken she has asked me not to post until she seeks permission from the beneficiaries. I'll follow up when the time is right, it would be great to connect the family with someone who might in time be able to restore it.
mdann
New-tral

PostPost by: elan66 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:06 pm

If complete, must be worth quite a bit more,lot of restos fetching £10K without the provenance of this one
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:13 am

I agree with the previous posts. An original car with provenance, a garage find... cool.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:01 pm

mdann wrote:A friend of mine is sorting through her late uncles house and has uncovered this SAR 900J buried in a garage, true condition unknown, can someone help us understand if this has any value?

Sorry, but you have given us insufficient information. What is SAR900J?

If it is all or most of a Lotus Elan it is probably worth something between £4000 and £40,000; your phrasing seems likely that the classic car enthusiasts would call it a "Barn Find".

If it is a component of an Elan but not constituting enough to call it a car., it is still worth more than any average car spare, unless it is completely knackered.

The "identity" of an Elan is engraved on a metal plate fastened to the fibre-glass body in the engine compartment, if you have all or most of an elan there please quote anything engraved or stamped into that plate,
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mdann » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:25 pm

I wouldn't disagree, initially set out to do was establish if it was scrap or not. So far we have established it's very probable the vehicle is the very same 1970 Elan Plus 2 (pictured on the opening post of this thread) since it carries the same registration.

The images I have are dreadful, in any case I have been asked not to share publicly until beneficiaries are in agreement. It looks to be a complete vehicle, subject to it having an engine and chassis not being rotten through I would still estimate it to be at the lower end of the valuation guide you have kindly provided.

Good steer on the plate, will get a picture of this!
mdann
New-tral

PostPost by: elan66 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:18 pm

Gerry and Sylvia Anderson were a big deal in the 70's, if the car is complete,( chassis condition not really important) it would be minimum £10K plus based on what 'ordinary Plus 2's' are fetching
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: