plus 2 at Castle Coombe

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon May 29, 2017 2:08 pm

If

lotus-talk-f50/dying-breed-are-t39478.html

is to be believed then 16% is the figure.

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon May 29, 2017 7:49 pm

from that website in 2016 there were total 720 licensed and SORN +2's of the various denominations ...
51/ 720 = 7%

if you look at licensed in UK 20016 51/405= 12.6%

........being one of the last +2s to leave castle combe trackday we completely forgot to call in to look at the photo shop . I texted the man but not heard back yet .
these pictures Kev, are they from him?
v nice :D
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Mon May 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Yes, he had 7 pictures of my motor.
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:19 pm

I stood at the entrance to the track and took a video of each and every one of the 42 cars that went out onto the parade lap. It can be viewed here:

https://youtu.be/nQpBg0UQdjE

It was great that we managed to achieve 50 50s at 50! Thanks to all who made the effort to come, sorry I didn't get to speak to you all. Mark and I had some fun with the prizes; much better and easier than a concours!

The stand out cars for me were Neil Widdowson's Colorado over White Sprint, which he converted from a FHC himself, though he kept all the parts so that it can be reverted back to original at any time. JimEs gorgeous and original Roman Purple Plus 2S130/5, to which we awarded the Shiniest and One We Want to Take Home prizes. Elseezed running restoration early car, which despite the gel coat patches and bastard interior (well, what there was of it!) had a great deal of charm and potential! The two Hexagon DHCs, one being Peter's (HexagonDHC on here) and even more excitingly, the original Hexagon car that featured in their catalogue, owned by the delightful Frank and June, since 1974, thus winning them the longest owned car prize.

You may also have seen the +2 with what looked like an AC Ace front nose. I chatted to the owner and he carried out the work himself, to what appeared to be a very high standard, three years ago. He felt he wanted to put his interpretation onto what he thought the car could look like, accepting it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but he was happy.

It was a cracking day and one of the more remarkable Castle Combe events.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue May 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Tim

Thank You

John :wink: No 31
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Tue May 30, 2017 2:41 pm

I think everyone can agree a great day was had by all. Thanks Tim for getting things organised and for the video. I think they all looked and sounded great. Jim.
Attachments
lotus270517-1099.jpg and
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Tue May 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Well i missed a very good event and a milestone in our cars history. Not a happy teddy but new job forced my cancelation.
Some fantastic cars and photos, thanks for posting them. Mines a daily driver despite the state its in, need to spend time fixing her up i think.
Just for the record keepers, i have 2 plus 2 cars. A 70 in yellow and 74 in white.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Tue May 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Thanks for posting the video, Tim, that was fun to watch!
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HexagonDHC » Tue May 30, 2017 8:41 pm

Thank you Tim and all the others before and during for being so welcoming.

I was completely taken aback by meeting the owner of the "other" Hexagon DHC on the day. He like me had never attended a Castle Coombe event and we both were motivated to do so because of the models 50th anniversary. What are the chances of that?

My challenge was to recommission a car that had been laid up for some 7 years, his challenge was to recommission a car that had been laid up for some 27 years......which he started to do last week...

Since meeting we have been able to swap some back stories on these cars and I will post out a more in-depth history in due course.

Regards,

Peter
HexagonDHC
New-tral

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:11 am

The Veg wrote:Plus 2s are exceptionally rare here in the States, even among Loti. I wonder how many we have over here.

As serendipity would have it, yesterday the 2017 member roster of Lotus Limited (USA club) came in the mail. The roster shows 40 Plus 2s, total of all variants, in North America (4 in Canada, and the 40 does not count one listed member in Australia). The remaining question is how many are out there belonging to people who are not LL members, lost in weeds, etc. My gut instinct says fewer than 41. I thought I read somewhere that something like 1100 Plus 2s were thought to survive; does anybody have an opinion of that figure, or thoughts on distribution?
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:05 am

Mine is one of the not included in those LL figures for the US. I think I read some where that about 300 were exported to the US. I'd guess 2/3 survive, with 1/3 on the road and 1/3 are in the weeds. So my guess is around 100 cars.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:33 am

Not sure if mine was a part of this list. The previous owner may have been a member, but I am not. The PO did obtain a certificate for the car.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:47 am

Can I just say a big "Thank you" to those who've posted photos and videos of the event and cars. As mentioned, just astonishing to see 50 Plus 2s together. Beautiful. I will be spending many happy hours looking over the images. Thank you so much, and happy for all who got to the gathering, with or without a Plus 2.

I would love to be a part of such a gathering of Plus 2s in North America, but you have to assume that in any given year, a significant number of cars are (like mine currently) laid up for repairs or restoration.

Regards to all,

Randy (a good 12 months away from completion :( )
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:03 am

Did anyone take any "group" shots . . . more than one car at a time?

Love to see whatever you can load up :mrgreen:
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:22 am

prezoom wrote:Not sure if mine was a part of this list. The previous owner may have been a member, but I am not. The PO did obtain a certificate for the car.

It would not be listed then, because the roster is of current members. The roster has the main section alphabetic by name, then cross-reference sections by postal code and by car model, that last of which makes it easy to count how many of a car there is among members.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: