Lotus restoration

PostPost by: S3FHC » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:38 am

Hello Chris,

I'm amazed by the work that you've put into the car and what a lovely colour you've chosen!
It really suits the car and, and you said, will show off all the shiny new chrome plated parts! :D

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chris5360 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Thank you all the complements are great, was a bit worried about going on original with the colour, but figured I don't want to sell it and it's for me anyway :) Wow very useful rebuild pics on the lock, as you say mine are quite badly worn the same both sides, the door hinge rods and bushes were worn so I've got new ones now, there is a lot in the door rebuilds, as I have completely removed all internals !
Chris5360
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chris5360 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:04 pm

img_3280.jpg and
Ok so I started to put the wiring back into the car, I haven't painted the engine bay yet, as I was going to save this for a winter project, but I discovered a lot of the things that bolt to the bulkhead have a nut or bolt on the behind dash side !
So I decided to stop putting the interior together this morning and swithsched to stripping the engine bay, at this point I think I will also remove the head and send to some one to port and polish and convert to unleaded.
I've also bought all new grommets so would be a bit backwards to put all that in and then take out again later possibly damaging new parts
Will keep it black in there, that way if I ever want to make it red again or someone in the ( distant ) future decides to repaint or put backnto original colour it will be easier
Attachments
img_3278.jpg and
Chris5360
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chris5360 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:11 pm

img_2019.jpg and
Before I got into the engine bay :)
Chris5360
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotusnut » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:51 pm

I notice that your car has a cut out on both sides for the pedal box, mine is O/S only, probably another quirky Lotus piece of assembly
lotusnut
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chris5360 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Ahh was going to ask about that acctually, as mine also has the federal interior, and a non standard dashboard, I had heard of some cars that were made lefthand drive but never sold so were converted to righthand drive, so I think it's either one of these or maybe a later convert, but the documents don't mention any import thing so I think never left the country
Chris5360
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:12 am

My early +2 (1968) has the two cutouts. The LHS (passenger) is blanked off with a plate (rubber gasket /sealant). On mine the wiper motor is laid on it's side, U-clamped on top off a wooden block. From pictures (and lack of holes in the engine bay) I believe this is the original position for the earlier cars.
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chris5360 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:47 am

Oh well maybe it's just a normal one then, seams to be lotus chopped and changed a few bits while making them from what I hear
Chris5360
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chris5360 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:07 pm

Bad picture but for some new spotlights on her, got some with covers as there quite vunrable down there, and freshly painted wheel, rest is dirty though :) and a few engine compartment bits going back in, I will give the engine compartment a thorough go over in the future I think, money and time are starting to get thin now as I want to drive her this summer
img_3418.jpg and
img_3417.jpg and

img_3415.jpg and

To be honest immnot happy with the engine bay at the moment, the paint reacted a bit, it appears that it was hammerite hand painted previously, and there are parts that I wanted polishing properly and renewing, it all works fine but I think I will do a full engine out overhaul of the bay and engine next year
Attachments
img_3418.jpg and
Chris5360
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Chris5360 wrote:I have one slight problem though the drivers side door latch (the bit that goes on the door) is damaged beyond repair and I can't find another one !

If you are still looking I believe they are off the normal BLMC porridge.
Marina / Allegro / Dolomite etc etc.

Same as the interior handle.

Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:41 pm

If you are still looking for a door latch there should be some still on my spare doors. Don't think I stripped them off before storage. I'll have a look if you still need them.
Cheers
Simon
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chris5360 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi Simon if you have some I would definatly be interested in buying them from you, I've been eyeballing eBay every day in hope :)
Chris5360
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chris5360 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:24 pm

img_3445.jpg and

Starting to look a bit more complete, would be nice to have some new rubbers for the side lights though
Chris5360
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 pm

Chris5360 wrote:Hi Simon if you have some I would definatly be interested in buying them from you, I've been eyeballing eBay every day in hope :)

Hi Chris,
This is what I have.
img_0589.jpg and

img_0590.jpg and

Have a think as to what you want to offer for them.
I have given them a bit of a clean and they work ok I think. Just could do with a bit more of a grease up as they are a bit dry, I did a bit but you would probably want to open them and do it more inside.

Cheers, Simon
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chris5360 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:03 am

Hi Simon it's more the drivers side that I need really shot blasted the passengers side yestaerday and it acctually came up pretty good, Not sure on values ,but was going to look on eBay to see previously sold prices,unless you have a price in mind, guess it's no secret that it's like the one part I'm after as I've mentioned ed it before :) so my negotiating is out the window :lol: are you happy to sell just the drivers side or do you want them to go as a pair ?
Chris5360
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: