+2S wheels question

PostPost by: GuyC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Hello All,

I am after a set of black +2S wheels with the chrome section around the edge and am having difficulty sourcing them (new or old!). I have been offered a set of the standard silver +2 wheels, does anyone know if these can be modified to the +2S specification?

Cheers,

Guy
GuyC
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:24 pm

I would imagine that this would be quite difficult and probably very expensive....but Ive no doubt someone will do it...
just a case of finding out who.......
the thing is the chroming and the riveting I guess......
it looks like the outer rim was chromed and then riveted to the steel centre judging by the appearance of the wheel.......so you need to find someone who would take a set apart and then rechrome and rerivet.........
:shock:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Gray » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi

I've got some plus 2 wheels with chrome rims that I won't be needing. I'm currently using temporarily till I fit the alloys on my S4. This could be a long time as I'm not going to buy tyres until the car is finished - long term rebuild. However, I'm fairly sure I have a couple of spares, they are in useable condition last time I looked, slight pitting of chrome and gold centres.

I'm in Devon, let me know if you're interested and I'll see if I can find them.

Gray
Gray
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GuyC » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:03 pm

I didn't know they were constructed like that and agree, definitely doesn't sound like it's worth the agro!

Thanks for the info, I think I'll have to be patient until I see a set..!
GuyC
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:36 pm

Compromise. The original steel wheels for the Plus 2 (or Elan) are in VERY scarce supply. Buy a set in the best structural condition you can find, strip and paint them, then add the press-on chrome beauty rings.

After all, the chromed rim of the wheel style you're after will only look good for so long; then pitting and rust set in. With the press-on beauty rings, you can at least renew them easily.

MHO, YMMV, etc. . . . :mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: