Bonded windscreen corner gaps

PostPost by: dick+2130/5 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:33 pm

dsc06897.jpg and

I am getting psyched up to fit my own bonded front screen. When I took the old screen out I found large gaps at the corners hidden under the trim pieces (photo). Can anyone tell me please the reason for having these gaps ?

Second point - corner trims. I understand that only the original shape trims ( for use on the original flat chrome trim) are available , Do these fit the current Paul Matty or Sue Miller trims OK ?

Any info or advice gratefully received.

Dick
dick+2130/5
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:27 pm

You need some gap in the corners to be able to fit the trims.
If you fit new plastic trim along the top, bottom and sides it is narrower than the original. So you need new corner trim also to match.
When you buy new trim buy new corners from same supplier.
You will need to make formers from wood so you can warm up the new trim and very very slowly bend to fit the top corners of the screen. If you force the trim you will get wrinkles in the silver in the plastic trim.
I bought the trim and corners from sjsportscars for my 1973 +2s130/4.
Good luck and take your time, don't rush
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: godfrsa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:08 am

I got my bonded trim from paul mattys. I was told they actually get these made and supply them to everyone else.
godfrsa
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:14 am

Small reminder.
Don't forget new corners because the new seal/plastic trim is narrower than original
Have fun with the fitting
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dick+2130/5 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks Alan B and godfrsa for your helpful replies, much appreciated.

Another question to Allan please - reference "wooden formers" to shape the corners of the surround. Could you give me a fuller description, or a photo possibly ?

What I imagine right now is that I should take a paper pattern from the new screen and use it to make up a flat former in 6 mm plywood - and then try heating and forming the surround on that before final adjustment on the screen itself - is that on the right lines ?

Bye the bye, I bought my surround from Christopher Neil about 10 yrs ago so it is flat like the original, but nothings perfect ! - I now find it is narrower than the one I took off - so not the genuine article. I'll see how it looks.

Dick
dick+2130/5
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: