Odd Hand Brake Lever and Gear stick

PostPost by: HumBuck » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:27 pm

Hello there,

Another +2 Spyder chassis change underway here.

Handbrake and Gearstick appear to be non standard. Anyone seen these before? Any ideas how to remove?

That stub pointing to the right near the top of the hand brake doesn't want to budge with vice grips. Both ends of the cage are welded. Cable just vanishes in to lever with no visible way of detaching. Perhaps I have to pull the whole thing through?

Gear stick is even more mysterious. Presume I'm going to need to take the whole assebmbly of the top of the gear box.

Thanks

HB
HumBuck
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:53 am

Hand brake looks the same as mine, you have to disconnect the inner cable from the linkage at the rear of the car to give enough free cable, you should then be able pull the handle part out of the assembly & unhook the cable from it.

The gear stick is not standard, it looks like a Ford item that has been bent/modified to fit. Looks quite ingenious.
lotus-gearbox-f37/got-car-need-cosmetic-advice-regarding-gear-knob-t16473.html
There's a picture of what you should have in the first post of the linked post. I'm afraid you'll have to figure removal as you go, but yes, I think you'll have to remove the whole thing from the top of the gear box.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:51 pm

For the gear lever, remove the centre console first, then unscrew the white nylon piece.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HumBuck » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:34 pm

Thank you chaps. Your solutions worked perfectly. 8)
HumBuck
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: