Lotus Elan

Ignition Wiring

PostPost by: ebc699 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:49 am

I recently managed to fry the module in the Petronix ignition (my own fault, but we won't go there) and want to change back (temporarily) to the points and condenser. We are moving house in the next few weeks and need to get the Plus 2 going!
When the Petronix was installed, I had the usual trouble with the bouncing tach but took it to the local instrument shop who got it working again. Now when I come to connect up the original points system I'm unsure just how to do it. Originally, the (white) wire went from the ignition switch, did a loop within the tacho and then to the positive side of the coil. However, since the mod to the tacho, there appears to be just a wire going to a terminal on it with no loop.Obviously the white/black wire from the side of the distributor would still be used, but other than that I'm stumped.
Ultimately, I'll be going back to Petronix which has been very reliable but really need to get motoring again.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks,
Wylie.
ebc699
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:37 am

Sounds like you're negative earth. Presume u don't have wiring diagram to hand. Would you have 2 wires coming from main loom in vicinity of coil. Black /white and green/red and another plain red?
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:43 pm

Just for the move " hotwire " it,Live to the + of the coil , points to the - of the coil..( assuming neg earth )

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:37 pm

Your tacho have been converted to voltage-triggered so the loop through detector is not needed now.

So the white wire that looped through the tacho simply bypasses that now.

I expect that you simply replace the pertronix with the original contacts, replace the capacitor/condensor that used to connect across the points and then connect the wire (that used to go to the pertronix) to the points.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ebc699 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:44 pm

All now sorted. Thanks for the input.
Cheers,
Wylie.
ebc699
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: