New headlights

PostPost by: mikebailey » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:08 pm

Does anyone have recommendations for new sealed beam units for a plus 2?
It would be good to see beyond one cats eye when driving at night!
mikebailey
New-tral

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:15 pm

Wipac Quadoptic. Get rid of sealed beams and fit halogen headlights.

http://www.wipac-aftermarket.com/uk/acatalog/Headlamps.html

I did this on my Elan and Minis back from the 70s onwards.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:45 pm

I bought a set of Wipac Quadoptics for an MGB and they were poor. The beam control was awful with light scattering any which way, and after less than two years the reflectors were rusty. Since then I have bought Cibie Valeo headlamp units which take the standard H4 bulb, and have fitted them to three different cars, including my Elan. The beam control is excellent and they don't corrode. They have been on my MGBV8 for nearly eight years, used in all weather and they are still superb. The light from the Cibies is better than from my modern VW family car.
Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:42 am

I have used Hella or Cibie units with H4 bulbs with good results in all my Lotus

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mcclelland » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:31 pm

The Cibie Valeo certainly get my vote...have them fitted in my Plus 2. You need to shop around though as prices differ quite a lot.
George.
George McC.
1968 S4 Elan dhc.(now sold)
1973 Plus2 S130/5
1994 Elan M100 S2
mcclelland
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:44 pm

anything with halogen or better will be a marked improvement on the standard single candle arrangement

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:30 pm

Second for Wipac Quadoptics,

Got them on my Plus and '65 Mini and they are very good. Get them from SVC and ask for the bulb upgrade.

Not expensive, cheap in fact and...made in Britain so 'what's not to like'!

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elated » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:56 pm

Heart says "cibie"
Head says "Wipac Quadoptic"
Either, way H4s are a "no brainer"
elated
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:30 am

You won't be disappointed with the Cibie lamps. I buy them here
http://www.europaspares.com/auto-electrical/lighting/headlamps/cibie-h4-headlamps-7-inch.html

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:28 pm

Slightly controversial, but I have seen HID Xenon lights fitted to Elans

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performan ... ne-ballast

Slightly controversial in that they are not E approved and could result in an MOT failure unless you can successfully argue that the original equipment doesn't conform either.

Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:22 pm

Has anyone tried LED headlights?
Maybe something like these -
http://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/product- ... chips.html
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:32 pm

KevJ+2 wrote:Has anyone tried LED headlights?
Maybe something like these -
http://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/product- ... chips.html

I tried LED bulbs in the spots and they were hopeless. I had to get out to ensure they were actually on!

screenhunter_84-dec.-03-16.28.jpg and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:41 pm

There is a feature in Classic Car weekly this week that covers LED bulbs and totally advises against them for use as replacement bulbs for classics. Apparently you need the complete light unit that is designed for use with LED because standard lenses and reflectors are incompatible and result in below acceptable light output.

HID xenon light up the road very nicely, just got to be careful with that MOT man...... A friend was asked if He had fitted blue halogens.... "yes that's right" He said.... passes every year.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:55 pm

Spyder fan wrote:There is a feature in Classic Car weekly this week that covers LED bulbs and totally advises against them for use as replacement bulbs for classics. Apparently you need the complete light unit that is designed for use with LED because standard lenses and reflectors are incompatible and result in below acceptable light output.

HID xenon light up the road very nicely, just got to be careful with that MOT man...... A friend was asked if He had fitted blue halogens.... "yes that's right" He said.... passes every year.

And why do you think retro fitted HID's are an MOT failure ? :? :) It's because like LED's, the whole system is designed around the HID bulbs. Without the correct reflectors & lenses you may well be able to see into the middle of next week, but you will likely be dazzling every driver that comes towards you ! On cars fitted with HID lights, even the headlight washer system is part of the MOT, as the build up of road grime upsets the beam pattern sufficiently to cause dazzling to oncoming drivers. They also need to have automatic self levelling built in to compensate for any weight in the boot, full or empty fuel tanks etc, or you're back to dazzling everyone. There's much more to them than meets the eye, which is why these kits state for off road or show use only. :wink:

My vote would go to Cibies, like Wipacs, a simple inexpensive conversion with quite an improvement over sealed beams. I have had Wipacs in the past, & they were good, but have had issues with the reflectors going dull or rusty in too short a time. Also had the glass separate from the reflector on one set. The Cibies in my +2 have been there for years now & are still as good as new, for that reason I have to rate them above the Wipacs.

Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:20 pm

Tim,
I did say they were controversial, but they do work. Unlike the LED bulbs which don't give sufficient light output unless they are coupled with designed for LED use lenses and reflectors. Apparently people have been replacing incandescent stop light, tail light or indicator bulbs with LED bulbs and realising like Vince that the light output is well below par.

When did you last load your Elan with 2 sacks of cement and the weekly shop in the boot/trunk? Normally our cars have a problem with the headlamp aim being too low, it would take a large amount of luggage probably more than you could fit in an Elan to raise the nose sufficiently to dazzle oncoming traffic.

Hypothetical and interesting, there's lots of clever people on here that could design a workaround for the MOT.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: