New member looking for advice

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Yes Denicholls I think front end damage / wear & tear is the norm ....flexing and lack of repair on front valance where it attaches to chassis causes this droop .
Hi Guy ! welcome aboard !
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:00 pm

Similar front wheelarch.
Attachments
lotus_elan_plus_two.jpg and
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:29 pm

If either of the prospective buyers (or anyone on the board in fact) want to come and see
1) my plus 2S which is currently an almost complete rolling chassis with separated body in need of renovation, and 2) my Plus 2 which is complete but in need of total restoration

then feel free to PM me - I'm in North Hampshire, just off junction 4a of the M3, and it will give you an idea of what you need to look at and for on any prospective purchase - its a lot easier to understand what going on if you've seen a car in a state of disassembly :( .
Secondly, I'd not be too worried about the Stromberg / Webber thing. As far as I'm concerned Webbers are great for top end performance and racing, but Stombergs are better as road car carbs, being easier to set up and nowhere near as finicky as Webbers. (Ducks to avoid the inevitable brickbats...)

Originality - well its down to the owner. How original is a car which has been restored? Ivy Plus 2S has a spider chassis, and I'm restoring it with an eye to what I want it be like, but my the Plus 2 I'll restore with more of an eye to originality as its a two owner but only one user from new car which has lots of original bits and bobs on it. Swings and roundabouts and both approaches are valid, and the end product will probably be worth the same to different customers.

I won't mention that Stromberg equipped cars performance doesn't seem to be any less than Webber ones if you check the contemporary road tests...... Sorry, I said I wouldn't mention that :D
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Rich135 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:14 am

GuyC wrote:Hi Vince,
Rich,
Yes, my Elise is an S2, the advert for it is here: http://classifieds.seloc.org/ads/2001-lotus-elise-series-2-k-series/
Agree, I think it will be this year or never at our budgets! Have you got any specific models or requirements? I?m sure something will come up for both of us. Likewise, good luck with your search!

Hi Guy

That Elise looks great value, I am sure it will sell quickly. If I could put two seats in the back I would even buy it!

On the plus 2, I prefer the slightly later models with the 'luxurious' interior, but don't really need the 5 speed, so I am probably looking +2S onwards. Is that 1969 onwards?

Matt, I have dropped you a PM, as I would love to pop by, and am not too far from you.

Many thanks

Rich
Rich135
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:40 pm

The Plus 2s was introduced in 1968, but with most things lotus there is not an entirely clean cut off point between the change of models.....
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:07 pm

for 'luxurious' read 'pimped up'... attracts a different audience . :wink:
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:04 pm

Ooooooo . . . them's fightn' words!!!!

:wink:

:lol:

Randy
(proud owner of the high-end GT: Plus 2S . . .)
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:42 am

I see this; http://www.classic-auctions.com/Auction ... 41016.aspx didn`t sell at H&H yesterday. I haven`t seen it and it does look a little unloved on the pics but quite nice. I seem to remember the guide price was ?13k -?15k.
Give H&H a ring and see what they think of it and what they think the seller will accept.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gibbon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:33 am

I bought a 68 plus 2 a year ago.

I spent quite a while looking and found it really hard to find something i wanted, i ended up with a very original none messed around with (though new chassis) early model.

I decided i much preferred the earlier seats and dash etc and liked the unspoilt (to my eyes) lines of the non s front. They also get heavier as the model progressed, which for me was a negative.

I found most 'nicely' painted cars i looked at to be under very fresh paint and with little evidence or receipts of who did the work. I ended up buying one with old and heavy patinered paint, but hiding nothing and very original. The owner claimed original paint but i have no proof of this, its certainly been on a long time.

Several i drove when looking for mine were real dogs to drive, i realised quickly i wanted the 4 speed box, and how good the cars could be when right, and how bad when wrong. Mine drives wonderfully with cp2 cams, a rebuilt engine and 3.55 dif. All these little things really added up, it?s a very light and though not really fast per se, spirited drive and great fun.

Sadly shortly after getting mine i ended up having to have the water pump replaced, which was fairly costly, but gave a good opportunity to go through the engine and replace head gaskets etc. The engine had been rebuilt by a reputable builder with receipts, and had done little miles since, but it was a long time ago and i think various seals just dried out, so also be aware of that.

Pricing is all over the place for the plus 2, but i personally would be wary of fresh paint, and 'bitsa' cars, and now wary of cars that have seen no, or very little recent use, and try to find a great driving car you can enjoy. Paint to me, as long as the car is straight, is less significant, the paint on these cars I don?t believe was ever that good even new!

Oh, one other point, i saw some cars with a roll back roof, though quite appealing these were never standard and always cut in by a third party, which very much put me off them.
gibbon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Tournesol » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:33 am

Hi Guy,

I've sent you a PM.
Tournesol
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:43 pm

Roll back roofs were I believe a dealer option at the time - the Plus2s brochure describes it as 'the car with no extras list'
Lots were fitted back when the cars were new....
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:54 am

For that matter, some on this list LOVE their fabric sunroofs and claim they are quieter than open windows and really allow the cabin to air out (especially important where the temps get above 22 C in the summer :wink:

YMMV . . . I'm not putting one in my car, but I get the appeal.

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SprogBarnes » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:06 pm

As a fairly new +2s 130/4 owner in W London area I'm following this thread with a degree of interest.

As such, here's an interesting option for you guys to mull over. For auction is this nice looking car, with some pedigree which might make it a smarter investment and worth pushing the budget that little more...

http://www.historics.co.uk/buying/aucti ... plus2.aspx
SprogBarnes
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Wickey » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:38 am

Hi Guy,
Looks like a few of us are after a Plus 2 in and around the ?15k but I do need one fully sorted though as have no skills or spanner tools. I did go and see a few cars last month and the white one (with the 'questionable' metallic purple roof) is absolutely stunning condition (albeit I really am not a mechanical expert). Search my previous posts I think there may still be a link to the original advert. It was a bit pricey at 25k but came with the unique PLUS2 number plate. I really wanted the car and got a 'none commitment deal' without the plate for 20k but my retirement funds still did not stretch that far so the guy agreed to take it off sale while I tried to muster up some extra cash. (even looked in the grandchildren's piggy banks). Sadly I just could not make up the extra needed so I think the car is still probably for sale as he did not seem in a particular rush to sell and I have not seen it readvertised. If you do track him down and get to view, take your swimming trunks, he has the biggest indoor heated swimming arena I have ever seen. Even gave me a whole case of wine from his French vineyard.......a real nice genuine guy and has obviously never had to penny pinch in keeping the cars in tip top condition. Off to buy my lottery ticket............ :mrgreen:
Wickey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:55 am

I`m thinking that the one at Historics` auction looks far too cheap. I`m guessing that the Ronnie Peterson (Petersen?) connection would double the value relative to a similar car.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: