TMD 48F

PostPost by: Twopuds » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:43 am

Hi
Hello to all you +2 enthusiasts.
During the late 70's, early 80's I was the owner of Lotus Elan +2 TMD 48F. The DVLA records indicate that it is still on the road and wondered if anyone on this forum is the owner?
If the current owner is interested in adding photos to the cars history file, contact me and I will send them to you.
We had some great times with the car at the Lotus club events, but a young family and a mortgage to pay meant it had to go. How many times have we heard that!
Richard
Twopuds
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:59 pm

Good afternoon Richard, welcome aboard.

If you do not get any joy here, you could always contact Club Lotus. They have extensive records of who owns what, registration wise, and if you tell them what you are trying to do, they may be able to help. I did the same recently and the owner of the car I was trying to contact, phoned me up, having being contacted by CL that a club member wanted to get in touch.

Going by your 'nome de plume', you might not fit in a +2 any more :lol: Out of curiosity, how did you come by this site?

Best,

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Twopuds » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi Leslie
Thanks for that, I will send Club Lotus an e-mail.
Yes, I imagine that getting in a plus 2 would be a struggle these days, although I always found the doors quite large and better for getting in and out of than some cars of that time eg the TVR's.
In answer to your question I found the website simply by google and although Club Lotus came up, it doesn't appear to have a forum page or maybe its members only.
Regards
Richard
Twopuds
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:56 pm

No, no forum page with Club Lotus Richard. In fact, not much of anything with CL.

The first magazine of the year has just come out, quarterly, and I see that there is yet again, no annual parts fair or meeting. I think that has gone for good now. Shame.

If you are interested R, and you want to see a whole load of Lotus cars not far from you, head down to Castle Combe race circuit on Saturday 28/05. Great if the sun is shining. And bring me a birthday card :D

All the best to you,

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:21 am

512BB wrote:Going by your 'nome de plume'...

Almost funny...over here 'pud' is a less-frequently used slang for certain body-parts, derived from pudendum. :mrgreen:

But all joking aside, got fingers crossed for TMD 48F to be found. Keep us posted.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Twopuds » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:25 am

An amusing interpretation of the name, I certainly felt like a dog with two puds when I was driving around in the +2.

Leslie, what is the event on 28 May 2016 at Castle Coombe? I looked at the web site and can only see racing on the bank holiday Monday., not Saturday the 28th.
I would be interested in attending, We spent a weekend with the lotus group there, 1981 I think, but would non Lotus drivers be allowed in?

At this rate I might be looking around to buy another +2 shortly. I have always had a soft spot for Lotus cars generally.
My father worked at Cheshunt from 1963 until they moved to Hethel and was involved with the Mk1 Lotus Cortina..

He managed to get the job at a time when redundancy was the norm, having been made redundant himself with 6 weeks money in his back pocket. He stopped off at Cheshunt on the way home, to see if they had vacancies. By sheer chance he bumped into Colin Chapman and struck a deal, "I work 6 weeks for you free of charge and if you like what you are getting, take me on at the end of it". The rest is history.

Apologies for all our yesterdays.

Richard
Twopuds
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:37 am

Hi Richard,

May 28th is the Club Lotus track day at Combe. It is an event where Club members can put their cars on the track and have a race round. You do not have to be a club member to turn up at the circuit, anyone can go, in any car, and it is a free event, but only Lotus cars are allowed on the track, pre registered, not free.

As I previously mentioned, if the sun is scheduled to shine, there could be up to 500 Lotus cars present, and its a great day. If it rains, its ghastly, and turnout poor. There are often, several Lotus cars for sale on the day, some privately, some taken along by dealers. BE VERY CAREFUL !

It seems you have had some experience with Lotus ownership in the past, but my overriding advice for buying an old Lotus today is NEVER buy sight unseen. I would think that the selling environment has changed a lot since you had your +2 with the advent of Ebay, but I would never bid on a car, not having previously viewed. Plenty of advice available here.

Most interesting that your Dad worked at Lotus. Plenty of us here are fasinated in the history of the factory, back in the day. Don't be afraid to share some / ALL your stories and recollections, they would be most welcome.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: