Advice on restoration approach

PostPost by: NedK » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:03 am

Hello all

I'd like your advice and thoughts on how to approach a ground-up restoration of a very original Plus2. As far as I can tell, the car has been entirely unmodified over the years, apart from some dodgy paintwork. Clearly, the basics of chassis, engine and bodywork will need to be sorted out properly. But I'm thinking over the options for how I approach it. I intend to keep the car in the medium term once complete, but might sell on later.

There seem to be a number of routes to take:
1. enjoy the originality and preserve/restore back to an exact match, not upgrading anything. This might please the purists, and lock in some more value long term if I come to sell? Does keeping the original colour make any difference?
2. make small pragmatic improvements to make the car more reliable and useful today. I'm thinking... replace bullets with modern connectors, replace generator with alternator, etc. Change the colour to something more appealing?
3. go for full modernity with Zetec engine etc and Spyder upgrades. Is this still a popular choice? How would it affect longer-term value, or will more original cars always be preferable?

My question is, when you all made your decisions, how did you think it through? You can probably tell from the above that I'm veering towards Option 2... But you're the experts, and I'd value your opinions.

Thanks
Ned
+2S 1969 50/2283
NedK
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:21 am

I would go with option 2 unless its a very original early car with all the little bits the later cars don't have.

Mine is going to be similar to your option two when I finally (if ever) get it done.

A fair number of updated items but nothing that cant be put back if required. Still with the twincam and 4 speed but spyder frame, new driveshaft's, rad etc. Just bits like that.

The only thing I like to see is the paint colour to match the chassis plate code (if it has one on it). Mine is Bahama Yellow, not everyone's cup of tea but its not so bad in a butterscotch type of way.
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:56 am

Depends on what your planning to do/use it for? N02 is the most common one used and sensible mods won't effect the value (may even add value) but i'm not sure i'd change the colour myself, i'd also do every thing in my power to keep the original chassis under it (might just be me having a thing for Number matching cars)

I have to admit i like the idea of doing a full spyder conversion but it would have to be on a basket case or car that has been stripped by the Ford guys, i wouldn't do it on a nice original car.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:14 am

Hi Ned,
Yes, option 2 seems best as you have a good complete original car to start with.
I have been doing my restoration for 2 years now and although I have fitted things such as electronic distributor, electric fuel pump, more fuses and relays etc. It's nice (I think) to have the challenge of keeping the general look and feel of the car as it was.
I have fitted a Lotus type folded chassis made by Spyder and suspension wise, only added Tony Thompson front adjustable units with new GAZ shocks at the rear. The engine, Gbox and diff I have kept standard. The electrics I have renewed and it is this that I would say do right and upgrade.
I am now starting on the bodywork and again, this is nothing to hurry. A lot of hard work can be wasted if the paintwork is poor. Unfortunately, this comes at quite a high cost on these cars.
Colour wise, it's personal choice but I like to see at least a period colour on an original car but many others will disagree.
Good luck with your choices, and look forward to seeing some pics.
Kev.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: el torro » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:18 pm

I kept original colour but in two pack,previous owner had put new/ old stock suspension front and back and I have kept car original interior but I must admit I always do this with any lotus I owned, however nothing against safety upgrades and other engine upgrades,but everyone to there own thing as long as cars stay on road and not locked away unfinished restorations
el torro
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:30 pm

I've been on option 2 since march 1969.

Done about 200,000 miles.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:42 pm

NedK wrote:My question is, when you all made your decisions, how did you think it through?

My experience, FWIW Ned, is that the "thinking" happens as you go along. I made a rough plan, but have adapted it as I go, based on the money, time, energy, willpower and skill I have.

The general plan also develops - as you read the forum or develop your own vision of what owning a classic car is about. It's your vision, though, and it can only fit you well if your understanding - of car and self - is well developed.

I've found it a very enjoyable process, but there's no shortcut - either in the building of the car or in developing the vision and plan.

Definitely agree that restoring a car is a series of decisions or choices. That's why I'm doing it myself, instead of buying someone else's car/set of choices. :wink:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: NedK » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:57 pm

Thanks to all for your wise words! All very helpful.

For colour, nothing is on the chassis plate. I've asked Lotus for the original spec details, so I'll see what happens.

I look forward to seeking more advice as things progress...
Ned
+2S 1969 50/2283
NedK
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: denicholls2 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:38 pm

NedK wrote:For colour, nothing is on the chassis plate.

Ah, Pistachio! :)
denicholls2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wotsisname » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:43 pm

I'd echo allof the above. Get along to a classic car show (or 2) or a club event and see what has been done. A point to ponder.. if you want to go option 3 are you starting with the right car ?
1968 Elan plus 2 - project
2007 Elise S2 [modified with a Hethel 70th sticker (yellow)]
2000 Elise S1 - Sold
wotsisname
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:12 pm

The thing with going option 2 is sensible modifications can always be returned to Original if the Market changes or you decide to go that way in the future.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:22 pm

I would say it depends on how you intend to use:
1) Look at and drive occasionally to shows
2) Drive frequently, both around town and longer trips
3) Drive daily
You will find yourself well supported by this forum whichever you choose, as there is a good and responsive presence of all three groups within our ranks.
Good Luck.
Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ditechspain » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:02 am

My philosophy is that if you unquestioningly follow all the well-intentioned and kind advice you get given you can spend a fortune on things that don't really bother you. Use the car as is as much as possible for a year or more so you get your own feel for what you consider its good and bad points, and then think about modifications accordingly.

Some mods like alternator were made during production, and were copied by contemporary owners so are authentic in that sense and easily reversible if you go concours later. Others like electronic ignition were contemporary owner mods.

Two design features that bug me personally are the mainly ornamental handbrake/parking brake and the difficulty in fully filling the tank. Equally a modern wiring loom would probably improve the way many bits work. Improving them isn't that convenient/cheap, so we'll live with them. We certainly wouldn't have chosen our colour buying new, but after a year or two's ownership wouldn't now dream of changing it even if we had to have the car resprayed. Option 2 for me.
ditechspain
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:26 am

Strange about the ornamental handbrake ;-) I have owned my car for 32 years and it never bugs me? The electrics however are another story! I have fitted hidden relays and re-made the harness with heavier cable for the headlights and windows together with a bigger alternator, just so that i can open a window while ticking over with the lights on!
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:55 am

Probably somewhere between option 1 and 2 is where you will end up; even if you try for totally original which is impossible.

The car as standard worked ok but once you start making things work a that little bit better things begin to cascade. For example, original sealed beam headlights - hopeless if you want to drive at night in the country, so you fit some 60W Halogens, which uses more power, so the windows or the indicators go a bit slower, so you uprate the wiring, fit relays and/or an alternator. None of which are original.

Last time I looked, it wasn't possible to buy front dampers which don't have adjustable bits on them, again not original. Then there are the bits that have been re-manufactured which are good but not quite the same as original (i'm thinking S-130 screen surrounds amongst other things) or the bit's that are no longer available because they were used in such small numbers they aren't economically viable to reproduce.

If you need a chassis, and if it hasn't had one already it will now, it'll be galvanised if you go for a 'Lotus' one. Which is better than the original red oxide painted one but not, ultimately, original.

The term 'as original' is something to aspire to if you want but not in reality achievable.

In my opinion of course :D

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: