Cirrus or Monaco white ?

PostPost by: grassyknoll » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:39 pm

i used to work with a guy who had his air intake grills done in that process, they were external and lasted three years before he wanted them recovered, so chrome is better.... but not possible on fibreglass repaired bumpers !
grassyknoll
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:14 pm

Okay, well that clarifies that issue. Three years. Wonder if the car was garaged?

The question for me personally is how long will the chrome films last outdoors before they lose their lustre, and really, how much lustre the products have to begin with? Alsa corp states the film will last as long as a typical paint job, but . . . :?

Of course, the real problem, brought up by Jeremy on this forum is the quality and durability of current chroming work. Not great, from what I'm hearing, unless you find the right chroming shop and pay unbelievable rates for really good (old-fashioned) prep and plating work.

What hasn't been said here yet is the option of body-colour paint on the bumpers. There is a pic of a black Plus 2 on the web with black fiberglass bumpers and the car looks gorgeous. Really contemporary.

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:00 pm

Has anyone tried this product or method? Don't know how expensive it is or how durable.
Interesting though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6kypid0XG0
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: grassyknoll » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:20 pm

I looked at that last year. It is the same chemical and process for silvering mirrors..... you just put 2k clear over it to protect it.
It worked out to about 300 a bumper.... still cheaper to chrome the things ! If only I had a metal rear bumper !

Pah. I binned one 15 years ago ! It wasn't even holed. Just pitted badly... may go to landfill and dig it up....
grassyknoll
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:28 pm

:lol:

Last year I drove miles to buy a rear bumper and was so taken with the guy's car collection that I forgot to check the bumper's condition. Got it home and put my finger right through it :lol: :? :cry:
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: