Another one back on the road !

PostPost by: bob_rich » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi Folks

Well after 4 years and 8 months since the strip down My Dec 1973 Lotus Elan +2S 130 is back on the road. Thanks to all the helpful posts on this forum and special thanks to the following suppliers and people who helped me out
Mark At Stocks Coachworks for the body work and also allowing me to take the rolling chassis to him to fit the body on after he had prepared it.
Steve Parker for engine rebuild and general help even when things got a bit fraught
Dave, John, and Karl at Emerald for lots of advice and assistance with the fuel injection side of the project
Brian Cates of Classic Car trim for preparing and reworking all the trim.
Andy and Neil at SpyderCars for reworking the chassis and help on the fuel injection project
Sue Miller of Mick Miller Classic Lotus for help with the many parts and suggesting suppliers when she could supply bits

also lots of smaller supplier and of course the many useful suggestions from the Lotus Elan.net community

Hope to see some of your around and about ! !

regards and 2 thanks

Bob
Attachments
PB120007a.jpg and
PB120006a.jpg and
PB120004a.jpg and
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: persiflage » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Well done that man. :D
persiflage
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GHill » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:58 pm

Congrats more photos please!!

Well done!!
To get something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done!
GHill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:23 pm

Looks like time well spent Bob nice job Well done
Stuart
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:17 pm

Fantastic, you should be proud!

Looks stunning.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:21 am

Does look like a superb job on the body work and paint. Would like to see interior and engine bay shots :mrgreen:

I have a couple questions:
* What type of radio antenna did you use? Looks very nicely flush-mounted. Is it powered? Brand? Comments?
* I'm not familiar with the details of the 130 model. You appear to have a single centrally-mounted front windscreen washer jet, no? Is that factory?
* I see you've painted the flange black below the rocker, as per factory. Did you consider painting the flange that runs around the underside of the rear? I'm just looking at it in the pix and thinking that with it black, it might disappear, much like the rocker flange. Not a factory choice, though, of course, but I'm thinking about it for my car.

Thanks,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Bob lovely job enjoy it
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bob_rich » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Hi again

Thanks for all the comments.

Randy for the questions U raised
I will answer as best I can. Regarding the radio antenna there is not one I sealed the hole with a bung. The car does not have (and did not when delivered new from lotus) a radio but I decided to try an idea with a hidden antenna. Basically before fitting the head lining I tried an idea with some copper tape against the roof. The pictures show the layout some copper horizontal on the roof and then some vertical down behind the passenger rear door pillar. I tried it with a radio and it seemed to work OK so I glued it all in and connected a lead up and have routed it through to the dashboard ready for a radio should I find a suitable one.

From what I can see on a number of cars I looked at while doing the rebuild single washer seemed common on later cars such as the +2S130 while earlier cars did have a single washer close to each wiper drive box.

Regarding the paint I took the lead from various cars I have seen and also some work on the web. Cannot be certain how standard it was. When I got the car it was on a SORN ( in the UK this means car is registered with the licensing authority but is not used on the road), and had a non standard sort of red/brown finish. Mark at Stocks returned it to the original finish Lotus LO7 yellow that was how it was first delivered form lotus

I have attached a picture of the engine bay, the inside and also a couple of my "hidden" radio antenna. Hope U find it all useful. I suspect some of the rebuild is not standard but my plan was to keep it as original looking as possible but not be to concerned at updates

thanks for comments

Bob
Attachments
PB120013a.jpg and
PB120011a.jpg and
DSCF1958.JPG and
DSCF1957.JPG and
bob_rich
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks so much, Bob, for the rundown. The car does look beautiful and I trust you are suitably pleased with both the new condition and the driving :mrgreen:

I appreciate the explanations. And the invisible antenna idea. Something that can be installed during restoration but not after, so why not try it. Good on you. I will consider that also.

Have you shared anywhere your experiences with fuel injecting the Twink? What system you used, installation challenges, results? Would be very interesting to many of us.

Thanks again,

regards,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:07 am

Great job Bob. Enjoy.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Congratulations Bob, car looks great, you've done an excellent job.

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: