Top tip?

PostPost by: elan66 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi Gareth,
the other guys have great advice and know lots more than me,but from expierience if you know what you want as the finished article work out what you can afford to spend( be honest with yourself,but not SWMBO :lol: ) and
work backwards.If you want a car in showroom condition that is great but what spec do you want engine,suspension,paint etc. as per factory or subtle upgrades,because unless the car you buy is exactly what you want to start with an engine upgrade could end up costing nearly as much as a rebuild(or more),suspension can make your wallet light very quickly,and re-painting a good but not to tatty body could cost as much as a very tatty body.ie if you are going to change most things look for solid base to work from.
Plus 2s cost the same and sometimes more than 2 seater elans,especially if chrome and trim is missing to restore,but as the others said do as much research as you can. Cars do come up for sale on this great forum,which has the the advantage others may know about it and may even have a bit of history on the forum,mine did which i have found useful.
Just remember to walk away if you have ANY doubts there is allways another car to buy,decide in haste repent at leisure(ask me how i know :( ) good luck
ps i am in Brighton you can ring anytime.I have just started resto (pm sent)
regards
Paul
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:07 pm

The $64,000 dollar question was the top prize in Double Your Money, sadly I remember the Hughie Greene version in the UK.

As always, the more you pay (within reason) the less the car will cost overall. I`d say ?10-?12k should buy a pretty decent +2. You can usually tell if a car has been cherished at a glance and that, to me, is the main indicator to look for.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:06 pm

Sorry, the Groucho Marx game show was - You Bet Your Life.
Guess I'm just too young to remember :wink:
Kev
Last edited by KevJ+2 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GHill » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:34 pm

All,

The fog is slowly starting to clear in terms of value etc - and if nothing else I've learned some history of the $64k question - although I remember the bob monkhouse version as I'm an 80's child ;-)

My motivations are to have fun - lots of it both in terms of driving as well as tinkering with it. I suppose that's what we all want!

I'm really appreciative of all the advice given - and look forward to being chased with a stick by PM on Friday - I will let you all know how it goes :?

Thanks also to those who've offered local assistance!

Cheers
Gareth

Prospective plus 2 owner
To get something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done!
GHill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Tournesol » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Welcome Gareth and hello to everyone,

I am also looking for a +2 and have had huge amount of help already from Steve in particular (thanks again!).

A few days ago I called to enquire about the car advertized on Gumtree (it's also on some other websites). The gentleman selling was very friendly over the phone and gave me some details about the car and told me he is selling because his daughter needs a mortage. He mentionned the chassis replacement was a subframe and that therefore the numbers didn't match and that he was trying to get this sorted via the Lotus Club for approx ?35. I am sure I read an article about this somewhere that it's something possible but dont hesitate to correct me if I am wrong. Following our conversation I've sent an email asking him to confirm the numbers he has of the chassis, engine and subframe and additional high res photos but helas no reply yet. I saw the car advertised somewhere else than Gumtree and it didn't have engine bay picture.

As for the escalating price of +2s well I just wish I had got the urge a year or 2 earlier....
Tournesol
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:10 am

The sub frame versus chassis situation arose when owners changed the chassis and, unnecessarily, told the registration authorities who got all excited about the car`s "identity". By calling the chassis a sub frame they calmed down.
PLU5 2, I can`t believe that you believe wickipedia, next thing you`ll be quoting from the Daily Mail. It was definitely, originally, Hughie Green(e). "Thankyou friends, I mean that most sincerely".
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:18 pm

This has nothing to do with "Top Tip", but here you go...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/quizshow/p ... nde06.html
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Plus 2 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:03 pm

Bud English wrote:This has nothing to do with "Top Tip", but here you go...

Bud,

It did not take me too long to look at a few of your posts either that wander. However when the OP embraces some humour along the way I don't think it needs the 'snarky' remark at the start.

I am out of this discussion and will remove all my previous posts from the thread with immediate effect

Bye
The one and only genuine registered PLU5 2 Image
Plus 2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:21 pm

Plus 2 wrote:
Bud English wrote:This has nothing to do with "Top Tip", but here you go...

Bud,

It did not take me too long to look at a few of your posts either that wander. However when the OP embraces some humour along the way I don't think it needs the 'snarky' remark at the start.

I am out of this discussion and will remove all my previous posts from the thread with immediate effect

Bye

Americans like to take take things seriously, especially irony :roll:

I read through twice and didn't think Bud was being picky or trite ? Just joining in the fun and adding a link to that old show......

This is a good topic that's been well viewed and attended, the chassis/subframe thing is a good point to mention and is well documented on the forums as an easy fix via Club Lotus or the Lotus archivist writing an explanation to the DVLA that some have mistakenly assumed that the chassis or more correctly unit number needs to be changed when the rotted out subframe/chassis is changed whereas it's correct that the unit number/identity stays with the body, which in fact is really a monocoque. Those V5 registrations that have had their chassis numbers changed mistakenly can be put back to the correct designation easily and at no cost.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gavk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Gareth,

I'm only about 45min away from you if you want to meet up sometime and look over my car, its not for sale but I saw you mention earlier that you wanted to view different cars to assess condition.

My +2 is (IMO) in great condition however it is RED and it is a *ahem* Zetec. While you may not be looking for a car with either of those attributes you are more than welcome to have a look over it if it helps in your quest.

Gavin
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Whoa, not sure what happened there. :shock: My comment wasn't meant to be "snarky" (had to look that one up). It was an, apparently inept, attempt to apologize ahead of time for contributing to the topic drift. ..but contribute I did.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:03 am

Hi Garath
I'm in Fleet, Hants, (about an hour away from you) and my Plus 2 is in large bits exhibiting many of the things that you need to inspect in 'kit' form - body off chassis, body semi stripped etc. You are welcome to pop over and and take a look at it, and I can show you the sort of things you should be looking for if you want to buy a good one...
Regards
Matt
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GHill » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:23 am

Cheers Matt, Gavin

Thanks for the offers, much appreciated.

The zetec is certainly something I've considered also and with all things 'different' it tends to split people who are either for or against. As with most things I'm open minded and I can certainly see the appeal of a classic car with modern features.

And a complete rebuild from scratch sounds very exciting - will definitely do similar one day - or perhaps sooner if I end up Buying that lemon I'm trying hard to avoid!

A quick question to all the generous chaps who've offered to show me their cars, all seem fairly local - do you ever get together to swap war stories etc?

Cheers
Gareth
To get something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done!
GHill
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:24 am

The zetec is certainly something I've considered also and with all things 'different' it tends to split people who are either for or against. As with most things I'm open minded and I can certainly see the appeal of a classic car with modern features.

I have come to the conclusion that Zetec conversions are great and almost universally accepted so long as you don't get tempted to modify the outward appearance too much, including too much bling in the interior. My own +2 Zetec is looking more original now that the ride height/appearance has effectively been solved and the colour will be going back to it's original French Blue over the winter.

I would caution going down the Zetec route until you have experienced the joys of a standard car, I found the original wanting in quite a few areas, but others like them just as they are.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Speaking of tropic drift ...

Mr Thomas: "Roll on summer, perhaps the rain will be warmer". It's September and the season of mellow fruitfulness will soon be upon us. :P

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: