Replacement/retrim of door cards - early Plus2

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:24 pm

My 1967 Plus 2 has horrible, non-original door cards - does anyone have advice on where best to get a pair made or to source replacements? I think the ones I have need to be recovered.

Thanks

David
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
1969 Europa - 210bbhp by Banks
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bengalcharlie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:03 am

Hi David

The door cards itself are no longer available as far as I know but a good car trimmer can repair these by replacing the door cards ( the backing to which the vinyl is glued). The most important stuff is the insert ( the textured part), all the other parts can be made from scratch and that is how I resurrected my door cards. Alternatively you can look for replacement items by placing an add in the wanted section. They come up now and then and they are fairly inexpensive.
cheers robin
bengalcharlie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: martinbrowning » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:31 am

Hi David,
Talk to Sue Millar. If I remember correctly, she either offers a retrim service or can put you in touch with a trimmer.

Martin B
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
72 Europa Special, 72 Sprint, 72 Plus 2
martinbrowning
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:32 pm

Have a look at: lotus-chassis-f36/door-facings-panel-cards-refurbishment-service-t24979.html

Not sure if the guy is still selling them?
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dunclentdr » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Great, thanks all for the options, will follow them up.

David
David Rose
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1963 S1 - Bourne bodied
1965 S2
1966 S3
1969 Europa - 210bbhp by Banks
dunclentdr
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Plus 2 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:00 pm

Those door casings Adrian makes as in the linked post above are truly excellent.

Mine had black faded carpet virtually tan colour and the previous owner was a smoker and burnt holes all round the ashtray vinyl.

When I removed the door cards they had been removed probably before without using the pigs foot tool so the backing was too damaged to bother with.

Thankfully the herringbone lattice vinyl centre part was OK, although this material or very similar is available from Woolies in the UK http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/

Although I have an industrial sewing machine after studying the task I decided to split the door card up into 3 sections.

The top roll, centre section and lower carpet panel. The idea was to make access easier and not always having to take off the whole door panel just to get at the lock or handle linkage and the remote door locks I have fitted with the alarm system. When all three sections are clipped in place it is really impossible to see they are separate sections.

I also noted the top front backing appeared prone to water ingress damage so this meant it could more easily be replaced at a later date instead of the whole door card.

I had to drill additional holes in the door inner panel to take the fastenings/inserts and also decided to use the plastic modern fir tree type as the metal ones were all rusted. Also as the male and female are direct inline fit it is much simpler to line each section up before trimming to match the holes for the clips in the doorcard and inner door panel.

The chrome strip was just an additional feature I added at the same time, and on the top roll part although I do smoke occasionally I never smoke in the car so got rid of the ashtrays completely.

It made the job very easy and manageble as a DIY. That was over 20 years. Since then I have repaired my seats again where burnt holes were in the panels and completely re-trimmed several cars as I gained some sewing experience nd trimming experience.

It is, as stated in the posts, essential the metal top flange is kept for reuse.

In addition I fitted a rubber trim strip to the inner door and top inner wing which has actually prevented water getting through to the top of the door card at the front.

Regards

Steve
Attachments
3 Piece Door Card.JPG and
DSCF1962.JPG and
RHS Inner Door Secondary Seal.JPG and
DSCF5255.JPG and
The one and only genuine registered PLU5 2 Image
Plus 2
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: