The Project........

PostPost by: dougweall » Sat May 10, 2014 7:45 am

Hi Ben,

Just seen your post.

Local to you, Nyloc (North Yorkshire Lotus Owners Club) meet at The Buckles on A64 from around 7pm. 4th Tuesday of the month, next meet is on 27th May.

We have a number of members with +2 cars, also a good cross section of most other models.

You will find any advice from owners of the "older" no problem. There are one or two "new' members with Classic Lotus, which if you look in Elan discussions you will see the Elan of Ian having a paint job completed at SMS.

So hope you can get along to see us.

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bdthompson » Thu May 15, 2014 8:48 am

The Chassis.......... I have a spyder in great condition on the car at the moment, but wanting to do the job properly, but also not wanting to go mad, how much should I consider the swap and spending a couple of ?k??? Does it help with ref the resale ie speed of a sale and general value?

Before you think I am doing this up to flog it on - I'm not, I just want to make sure that I am looking after the cars and my future interests, because I will change for something else in a few years........

Your opinions do matter!!
bdthompson
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu May 15, 2014 10:05 am

personally if you've got a Spyder chassis in already I'd leave it in....no point changing it as its obviously been done at least once already.....
the Spyder units is as good as the Lotus version for what we use the cars for...
Im not sure Lotus actually still make the +2 chassis.....or if the dealers make them.....either way your Spyder version will have been treated so should be good for a long while......
Id spend the cash on other things......engine rebuilds, paint.....just these should see off about ?10k if you go top end

:mrgreen:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bdthompson » Thu May 15, 2014 10:09 am

theelanman wrote:personally if you've got a Spyder chassis in already I'd leave it in....no point changing it as its obviously been done at least once already.....
the Spyder units is as good as the Lotus version for what we use the cars for...
Im not sure Lotus actually still make the +2 chassis.....or if the dealers make them.....either way your Spyder version will have been treated so should be good for a long while......
Id spend the cash on other things......engine rebuilds, paint.....just these should see off about ?10k if you go top end

would you think it would effect the resale value?
bdthompson
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu May 15, 2014 10:46 am

bdthompson wrote:
theelanman wrote:personally if you've got a Spyder chassis in already I'd leave it in....no point changing it as its obviously been done at least once already.....

would you think it would effect the resale value?

no not really.....
I don't think the +2 market has got buoyant enough for it to make a difference......
whilst there are the purists....there are also the practical people who want to use them......
I guess if you have a spyder chassis in already then you have a broader base to work with if in the future the twink becomes impossible to mend or replace.....as you have the spyder chassis it'll take the twink and the ztec...or even duratec.........
also it may probably take a 5 speed box.....
there are spyder ztec cars for ?20k and there are cars with replacement chassis for ?20k......
take your pick...... :)
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu May 15, 2014 10:48 am

oh...just a very personal though

my first +2 had and original chassis
my second I did a replacement on with a genuine lotus unit (because it came with the car)...
my third came with a Spyder chassis......

it didn't bother me which one any of them had........
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Fri May 16, 2014 12:12 pm

Miles Wilkins is the man for a proper Lotus chassis to keep it original :mrgreen:
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: