VIN Numbers

PostPost by: tablets32 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Hello all,

The VIN number on the body plate of my +2 is different from the one on the V5 for my car. I am rebuilding the car and hope to have it on the road this summer. I have done some research on the DVLA site but am still unsure where I stand.

It states that a body of the same vintage can be be fitted and the original reg can be used. Am I reading this info correctly ?

When I bought the car the previous owner explained that it had been fitted with a new lotus replacement sub frame.

Is there any way to check the body vin number through the club?

I am concerned about where the body was sourced from, I would hate to think it came from a stolen vehicle.

Keith
tablets32
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Not sure where you stand with DVLA, you might want to start with Andy Graham (AGraham - at - lotuscars.com), the Lotus historian chap and give him the VIN numbers you have. He can give you the works histories.

You see, unlike most makes, the identity of a Lotus Elan is determined by the VIN of its body, not its chassis frame, which Lotus have called a sub-frame. They did this so that replacement frames could be fitted without going through the palaver of changing the VIN. So, in theory anyway, you can't fit a replacement body to an Elan!

Any chance you could find out from previous owners what goes on, and maybe find out what the correct registration no. is/was for your car?
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tablets32 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi,

Panic over, I was looking at the engine number on the V5 doh!!
So vin is ok, thanks for the reply.
tablets32
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:26 pm

No, I think it's a stolen car!

Only joking :lol:
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:08 pm

Keith

As appoint of interest whilst I was checking my drivers door window mechanism I noticed my body/chassis number was etched into the door shell behind the door card and it brought to mind it was inscribed in the roof I noticed some years back.
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:14 am

the body number is on the roof, doors, forward surface of the glovebox and on a small dymo label embedded in the shut line of the bonnet near the solenoid. It is not the chassis number, although it may match I suppose
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:24 pm

50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: