checking body/engine/gearbox numbers

PostPost by: Johnfm » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:03 am

Looking at a '67 next week.

Is there some sort of register where I can confirm that the engine & gearbox numbers are original?

I have check the lotus register online and the body number is not on it.

Thanks
1967 Plus 2 #0168
Johnfm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:30 pm

Might not be worth the effort if you are just considering the car rather than own it, but the Lotus Archivist can sometimes provide some info. From the VIN (i.e. number formatted 50/xxxx on the data plate) he was able to tell me engine number & confirm car was sold in Canada and the date, but not original colour of the car. The available information on the early cars varies quite a bit, and some records were lost.

Andy Graham = [email protected]

Some folks here have copies of some chassis & engine number data. Perhaps post the numbers you find on the car under a general question in the discussion forum and someone may be able to confirm some data for you.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pete d » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:00 am

Interesting question ! given that most Elans are over 40 years old ,and have had several owners ,some not so caring !! ,unless you are very lucky ,having matching no's is not likely ,exchange engines and gearbox replacement over time is the likely cause !! and what does matching no's prove ! I have had 3 Elans and a +2 and only the first had it's original engine but this did not detract from the enjoyment of the car.
pete d
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Johnfm » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

I managed to contact the chap at Lotus archives - will be interested to find if the engine & gearbox are original - it won't put me off th ecar, but interesting to know.
1967 Plus 2 #0168
Johnfm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: m750rider » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:11 am

I don't know about 1967, but my 1969 S4 has the engine number stamped into the manufacturers plate along with the frame number.
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jeff@Jae » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:41 pm

I have never noticed any mention of gearbox assignment on these cars so the only thing needed there, if it matters, is the correct era gearbox. Correct engine number can sometimes be understood by the chassis plate and the LP number on the block but even then the cylinder head may be different, Again having the correct era head will suffice if one is trying to stick to an original restoration.My S2 has matching body/chassis/engine numbers and I am not sure if that would make any difference in the value of the car. It's simply a correct S2 Elan with no overt modifications (internal engine upgrades like cams(Sprint), compression, fully ported big valve head headers and a very careful blueprinted rebuild), upgraded starter etc..Quick, reliable and good looking and a very enjoyable car to drive as often as possible !.
Jeff@Jae
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: PBrown60 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:30 pm

My 67 has matching VIN, block and chassis numbers. I don't know about the gearbox, I haven't needed to look at it yet.

I did get confirmation from Andy Graham that they are as built. He could not confirm the original color, said that I would have to try to track down the original dealer for that.
He was able to tell me the original dealer name and that they were in Los Angeles. My Elan seems to have stayed in Southern California all it's life.

I'd like to find out how many previous owners it has had.
PBrown60
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: