looking for a plus 2

PostPost by: Hongokongo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:17 am

I am looking for a plus 2, and have found one that has not been kept in a garage for the last few months. Do you think this would adversly affect the car, particularly during the recent bad weather?
Thanks
Hongokongo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:26 pm

No more than the past forty-odd years may have done..

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Bearing in mid that the car is mostly fibre glass....probably not.

The only major concern (for me) would be Winter salt on the roads...especially in the UK.
(Not as big a problem here in Ireland but will be if the Councils every get their act together :( )

Until I recently built a garage my car spent all its time outdoors including in the bad Winter a couple of years ago where it got down to -19C and plently of snow.

Car was fine till it went to about -13C consistently day to day and then the engine oil (20/50) was just too thick for the car to start. But I'll forgive it for that.

In terms of rot etc. as John says, the car is 40 odd years old......

Plenty of info on this site regarding what to look for.

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:51 pm

If this +2 has been kept outside for only a few months I don't think there will be any serious adverse effects. My biggest concern would be for rainwater getting into the interior perhaps by a less than perfect seal around the windscreen. You should check for damp carpets.
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:03 am

Mine is out the garage covered in snow, To be honest mines not in perfect order bodywork wise if it was perhaps id be a little more concerned. It gets started up and driven round a 6 mile loop and the only thing i have to do is bail out the boot as it lets in a bit of water. It realy all depends on the condition of the car and your opinion of it.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:06 pm

John has it right. :)

Besides leakage into the car and potential mold or rot, might want to check for blistering in the paint. Wouldn't take it off your list, but inspect it carefully and make your call. If paint is in poorer condition than you would like be aware it is quite costly to do a proper repaint.

Good luck in your search & welcome to the forum. Consider popping your rough location into your profile.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: