22 years waiting for an MOT

PostPost by: tcsoar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi Guys,

So, after 22 years I finally got to drive my +2 for the first time on the road. 18 mile round trip to the MOT centre and back, and it passed first time :D .
Very wet drive not helped by an accelerator pecdal that did not want to move. So first question, how do people on here route the accelerator cable? With the bonnet up its fine, but what ever I do with the cable, once the bonnet is shut, it either gets progressively stiffer or pushes down on the carbs and causes the engine to rev higher.

Also added some pics at the MOT centre.

Chris.
Attachments
MOT3.JPG and
MOT2.JPG and
MOT 1.JPG and
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Dave240 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:11 pm

Can't be of any help to your problem, but the car looks great an congrats on getting the MOT!
69 Elan +2 - Currently in as many pieces as physically possible
Dave240
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jono » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:56 pm

It's a crap system - typical penny pinching Lotus :shock:

I seem to recall in relies on the outer cable sleeve moving to actuate the throttle, very primitive it seems to me.

I am thinking of going with a Sytec twin cable system on mine - it just looks like a better solution and, as it works in line with the engine, it should(?) be possible to tidy up the cables so they don't rub on the underside of the bonnet. Has anyone done this?

Jon

Nice car by the way and congrats on the MOT 8)
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: royrender1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:23 pm

All I did with mine was to shorten the cable a little so it was not rubbing on the bonnet
Roy
royrender1
New-tral

PostPost by: tcsoar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:22 am

Just an update on the accelerator cable problems. I had a look in my tin of cables and found another cable that was at least six inches shorter than the one I had fitted. Replaced the cable with the shorter one and now have nice smooth pedal travel with the bonnet closed :P

Chris
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:57 am

Congrats Chris. Must be great to have the car running after so long. Bet you were nervous of letting the MOT guys near it.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Bet you were nervous of letting the MOT guys near it.

The garage owner and MOT mechanic is a long time family friend of my father in law. I have been using him for MOT's for 20+ years and although he knows us well he gives our cars a proper test. When he tests our cars I am happy in the knowledge that if it fails, it fails for a good reason, I have always been a little sceptical of garages failing cars for silly things just to get a bit of buisness.

As I have asked him for advice during the restoration and talked to him about the car he was looking forward to seeing it turn up, although he did say that if had spent 22 years restoring a car he would not have taken it out in the rain :) .

Chris,
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:27 pm

I use a bicycle brake cable on my car ....Ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cal44 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:23 pm

22 years.........man.......do you have patience.........I bet I've been through twenty two cars during that period.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "Mad Dog" James Mattis United States Marines
cal44
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: r.agnew » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:19 am

tcsoar - PM Sent
r.agnew
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:40 pm

Well I've had my car for 11 years now so I'm half way there... at this rate my lad will be the first to drive it. Actually my freinds have been telling me that for a while :)

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:19 am

Hang in there Sean,

A month after I bought my car my wife annouced that she was pregnant with our first. Excellent I said, with the plus2 done we will have a sports car that we can put kids in the back seat :D .

Now got two boys, both over six foot tall and one of them is almost as wide, might be a bit too cosy for them in the back now it is done. They both want to get into the drivers seat now, not much chance of that :twisted:

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: