Why is the Plus 2 so undervalued?

PostPost by: Jays » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:08 pm

My first posting here so I'll just say hi to everyone! I'm a Morgan man but am looking at both Elans.....hard to decide between the two and i'd rather have both! The looks of the Plus 2 I love but I like the size of the S4 I've been looking at...and the competition history of the two seater Elans. Very difficult!! All made harder by being three miles from Mr Matty!!

So....I'm taking my time choosing and taking in as much as the forum as I possibly can.
Jays
New-tral

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:11 pm

An early (1967) +2 gets my vote.

Reasonably rare and reasonably cheap. :D
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:14 pm

Jays - welcome to the forum!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 65 Lotus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Personally I don't find the +2 very attractive, sorry!

Also, I find the Elan doesn't photograph very well and usually seems squat and compressed-looking (recall Ron Hicks wanted to lengthen it, even an inch, but Colin shot him down).

My wife indicated as much when I was looking for one where she couldn't understand what it was I saw in the Elan. Once I got it home however, I believe she said it was "The cutest, most adorable car I've ever seen!"

So given that they don't seem to photograph very well and that most people haven't seen them in person, I think it's a couple of factors that help add up to low value.
Scott In Ohio
26/3795
65 Lotus
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Hi Jays and welcome,
You dont say if you are looking at Lotus's instead of your Morgan or as well as. I just love my Plus2 and wouldnt swap it for one of its smaller relations (avoiding the word baby!) but if you are looking to replace your Morgan then maybe a plus2 is not for you. I have my plus 2 and a 289 Cobra clone. The Cobra gives me totally effortless open top motoring and is great touring on holiday - possibly what you would use you Morgan for? (I'm assuming its got four wheels although even a three wheeler may fill a similar role.) The +2 on the other hand can be used in all weathers and for a trip down to the shops I wouldn't get the Cobra out for -it doesnt burn much juice and its even a four seater!! The clincher is that the handling means when it comes to driving satisfaction there is nothing to touch it. So my advice is (FWIW) if you're keeping your Morgan get a plus2 to compliment it - if you're replacing your Morgan an S4 could be for you but if your current car is a V8 you'll miss those cubic inches.
All the best
Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jays » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Baggy......thanks for the welcome! I'm keeping my Morgan, a 4/4 ( 1.6 Sigma engined Sport...tuned) as its a great hood down fun car. I wanted something to compliment it and Lotus holds the same fascination for me as the Morgan factory. I've decided to go for a Plus2 and hopefully just the right car has come along.....fully restored and at just the right price too. A treat drive early next week and check to make sure I can get it into my garage...otherwise its a car cover and parked under a car port!
Jays
New-tral

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Jays

Brilliant... You wont regret it

Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jays » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Baggy2 wrote:Jays

Brilliant... You wont regret it

Baggy

Well....I learnt one thing this week-end! If you see something you fancy...go for it! I saw a great Plus2 fully restored at Paul Matty's on Saturday morning. Told them I would contact them first thing Monday to arrange a test drive...only to be told it was sold on Saturday afternoon!
My g/f told me "told you so"...she'd told me to put a deposit on it and I told her not to be daft!

So....the search goes on...but then that part of buying a car is great fun.
Jays
New-tral

PostPost by: Hal » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:46 pm

vernon.taylor wrote:Salut

Yep, the Excels and Elites are tempting, too and are incredibly cheap. If I had more garage space I would be tempted - not to mention the Esprit, though Chris Evans has probably increased their street value.

Maybe it's a case of 'significance' or competition status in their era. Unfortunately, IMHO, the plus 2 has neither - and I am a happy +2 owner. Sure, people have entered them in track events and hill-climbs but I'll stand corrected if there have been high-profile successes.

The Excel, Elite and Esprit fall in the same category, except for the Esprit S1 made famous/'significant' by James B.

Then there is the nostalgia factor enjoyed by the lesser MGs and Triumphs (and others) which reflects in the prices they command.

Despite looking Italian and having good performance, my/our +2s just don't have 'significance', competition wins nor (general public) nostalgia. Also owning up to having just 1600cc under the bonnet can be embarrassing requiring defending the TC merits - perhaps impressions and prices would be different if there was a V8/12 or three litres plus.

@+

Vernon

Here's ONE that won a rally!

http://www.classic-auctions.com/Auctions/27-02-2008-TheCentaur-1191/1967LotusElan2-26631.aspx
Hal
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:25 pm

What I don't understand is why the AH 3000 is worth $40,000+ and the Elan is worth about half. I've own both and I wouldn't trade my Elan for a AH ever. Ignore the market and buy what you want. Consider the bargain a +2 is now, it will only appreciate as the Elan has recently.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Carlos A » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:53 pm

nebogipfel wrote:Yes, and why is the horrible Europa worth so much in comparison to the Plus 2?

I do not agree. Europas are beautiful cars... the late 60s early 70s style is different than the elan but still cool... Europa's design was quite advanced for its time and still works. Those cars handle so well that makes our +2s look like vans. I love my Elan +2... but come on!

As for the topic: I do not like all the seasonal whining about under-valuated +2s. What is the problem? Why would you want these cars to be more expensive? To pay more for parts and repairs? So people decide not to drive them so much? Why? Unless you want to profit. But these are not cars to make money... but to lose some, and then some more and have fun in the process!

Saludos

Carlos
http://yourgarage.nbc.com/cars/Lotus1970?vehicleID=112804

BUY GAS WITHOUT ETHANOL: http://www.pure-gas.org/
Carlos A
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: AnthonyBelcher » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:28 am

Sad I know but since early retirement a couple of years ago I am buying the cars I would like to have owned in the late sixties early seventies. I have so far bought a 1971 MG Midget and a 1965 Austin Healey Sprite. Having had my fling I have sold the Midget. And recently bought a 1969 Elan S4 for no other reason than I always wanted one.

I'm sorry I cannot say that about any other model of Lotus. The Elan just captured my imagination for some inexplicable reason.
Anthony Belcher.
Warwick, England.

'They call me baby driver and once upon a pair of wheels I hit the road and I'm gone.......
AnthonyBelcher
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:12 am

Salut Hal

Sold for ?5000 - with a spare Lotus TC engine !!!!!!!! There are some lucky bastards in the right place at the right time - and I'm not one of them :cry:

@+

Vernon

[/quote]

Here's ONE that won a rally!

http://www.classic-auctions.com/Auctions/27-02-2008-TheCentaur-1191/1967LotusElan2-26631.aspx[/quote]
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hal » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:48 am

Salut Vernon!

How far are you from Lac Geneve?
Hal
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: